I485 - No Fee

ltorresm

Registered Users (C)
Hello
I just saw at the USCIS web site that the I 485
Adjust status and become a permanent resident while in the U.S.
Applying based on your having been admitted to the U.S. as a refugee
No fee
Is the same for asylees or just for the refugee??

Thanks

Hello
No fee

Thanks

nop, only 4 refugees

No, It's also for asylum if you are in U.S. when you apply I-485.

I disagree. Refugee is different than asylee no matter where you are. There is no fee for applying 485 as a refugee, but you have to pay if you are an asylee. And after July 30, the fee will be $1010 for most of us!

I disagree. Refugee is different than asylee no matter where you are. There is no fee for applying 485 as a refugee, but you have to pay if you are an asylee. And after July 30, the fee will be $1010 for most of us!

MGTgrl: I saw the new schedule, and it says only refugees. It does not say asylees in any where. therefore, I think we need more information on this becuase for some purposes asylees can be interpreter as being refugees. In the old schedule the two categories were clearly separated, this new schedule does not mention asylee, which makes little bit wonder...

Asylee is NOT same as refugee

Hello
No fee

Thanks

I'm afraid that asylee should look to "All others: filing+biometric=" $1,010 Its worded very clearly "Applying based on your having been admitted to the US as a refugee, NO FEE"
If I'm not mistaken, asylee status is very similar to refugee, but difference is exactly in how you admitted to US. "If the person is not in the United States, he or she may apply overseas for inclusion within the U.S. refugee program. If the person is already within the United States, he or she may apply for the U.S. asylum program." So, since you can be admitted to US as refugee only, and no such thing as admitted as asylee, the I485 with NO FEE is for refugee only, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGTgrl: I saw the new schedule, and it says only refugees. It does not say asylees in any where. therefore, I think we need more information on this becuase for some purposes asylees can be interpreter as being refugees. In the old schedule the two categories were clearly separated, this new schedule does not mention asylee, which makes little bit wonder...

Hi Faysal,

Opinion is right. We fall in the category of "all others" so for us aslyees it's $1010. We are not refugees. The same way we don't have to apply for 485 immediatly after the one like refugees do (refugees have to apply for 485 immediately after the one year), we don't get the fee waived like them!! In the eyes of USCIS, refugees and asylees are different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a link - an immigration case worker told me that. I can ask her for a link or where she's got that info. I do not qualify for low income so I did not ask her about the details.

I don't have a link - an immigration case worker told me that. I can ask her for a link or where she's got that info. I do not qualify for low income so I did not ask her about the details.

The fact is - the fee waiver applies to refugees ONLY and under no circumstances will and asylee get the waiver. Sure you can spend your time and energy for looking for ways to get - but there are none.

If you have a low income, you can can legal presentation for free ( social services offer that), as for fee to the USCIS - they don't care what your income is.

The fact is - the fee waiver applies to refugees ONLY and under no circumstances will and asylee get the waiver. Sure you can spend your time and energy for looking for ways to get - but there are none.

If you have a low income, you can can legal presentation for free ( social services offer that), as for fee to the USCIS - they don't care what your income is.

I don't think it's for refugees only. I mean refugees don't have to pay the fee anyway. Asylees can request a fee waiver depending of their financial situation, which they ahve to prove. Here is the link that might clarify this: http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver

Asylees are allowed to ask for financial assistance in the US (that's way we do not have to submit a affidavit of support)

I don't think it's for refugees only. I mean refugees don't have to pay the fee anyway. Asylees can request a fee waiver depending of their financial situation, which they ahve to prove. Here is the link that might clarify this: http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver

Asylees are allowed to ask for financial assistance in the US (that's way we do not have to submit a affidavit of support)

Thanks - looks quite informative, i i wouldn't go that way anyway - it will just postpone filing of the I-485 as you have to wait for their decision on the fee waiver.

Do you know what is the required poverty level?

Thanks - looks quite informative, i i wouldn't go that way anyway - it will just postpone filing of the I-485 as you have to wait for their decision on the fee waiver.

Do you know what is the required poverty level?

Charlize, I am not sure of the details, but I think what they are saying is if you qualify for other government help, such as welfare, food stamp, etc... that you might qualify for the fee waiver. So whatever qulaifies you for these things, will be used to justify the waiver.

I wouldn't go this route either, first because I won't qualify, second because like you said, it will take a long time just to approve the waiver!