I485 case transferred to Atlanta Local Office

sunrays

Hi.

I checked my status today. It reads
“On August 2, 2004, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to our office in ATLANTA, GA for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. Our office in ATLANTA, GA will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case. If you need further information, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.”

i need urgent help.
I have moved to South Carolina (SC) and my wife is joining me by August end from Atlanta.
We are on EAD.
I applied for my I-485 in April 2003
Received RFE (Employment Verification) and replied it on July 20th 2004

I would appreciate if some one can answer below questions:

1) What are the reasons for transferring the case? Do I need to panic since we are on EAD?
2) Is it possible to request them to send the case to SC? If yes, any idea how long it’s going to take.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

sunrays said:
What are the reasons for transferring the case? Do I need to panic since we are on EAD?

They probably want to verify employment. Sorry to hear this. My I-485 was transferred to ATL after a year at VSC, and I waited almost two years for an interview. ATL is handling late 2001 cases, by the looks of things.

Is it possible to request them to send the case to SC? If yes, any idea how long it’s going to take.

Maybe, but Greer SC is also stuck at late 2001. Let's hold tight for a few months and see what will happen.

sunrays said:
Hi.

I checked my status today. It reads
“On August 2, 2004, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to our office in ATLANTA, GA for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. Our office in ATLANTA, GA will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case. If you need further information, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.”

i need urgent help.
I have moved to South Carolina (SC) and my wife is joining me by August end from Atlanta.
We are on EAD.
I applied for my I-485 in April 2003
Received RFE (Employment Verification) and replied it on July 20th 2004

I would appreciate if some one can answer below questions:

1) What are the reasons for transferring the case? Do I need to panic since we are on EAD?
2) Is it possible to request them to send the case to SC? If yes, any idea how long it’s going to take.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sunrays, you are in same situation as mine. Real Canadian is correct as always. he is D-MAN on this forum.

Actually, since you will be residence of South Carolina, your case would be transferred to Charleston office. Charleston is the district office. After that depending upon where you would live in South Carolina you would have an interview at the Greer office. I live in Greenville, South Carolina. My case got transferred 3 months back from Vermont after sitting in VSC for 28 months. There is no rule to begin with for the transfers. You can call it bad luck. I have been in the country for 14 years. First 5 years on F-1, then almost 8th year running on H-1B. I just go EAD from South Carolina local office. They are very fast for EAD/AP, however Greencard interview has a big backlog. Some people will say that you have moved that's why your case got moved to the juridiction of your state, however what i believe is that there is not "fast rule", it's just they pick things random. You have no choice now, but to continue to work on EAD and wait. Let me know if you have any questions i would be more than happy to help you.

Real Canadian could you please confirm how Greer is working on late cases as the website still indicates Aug2001 cases are being processed.
My case details you already know.