I485 Approved

Kan Hogan

Registered Users (C)
After a few years struggle, I finally got my PR application approval. Initially, I hired an arrogant lawyer in 1998, thinking he could guide me through the process. After more than a year\'s frustration, I realized I had to rely on myself to control the process. I started to prepare application by myself in the beginning of 2000 of which my lawyer refused to do it for me even I pay him extra. It took me about six month to study the process/requirements and preparing the supporting materials. I got the I140 approval in less than five months and I485 within 14 months. After waste several thousand dollars on the attorney, I did the latter all by myself. I am sure I would still waiting for approval if I had relied on that arrogant attorney for my case. Here are some of the details:

I485 ND Dec, 2000
FP Jan, 2001
Approval Jan, 2002
Received Approvals in mail within 3 days.

EB1 SRC-01-060

Thanks guys. Here are the details: EB1, SRC-01-060

Personally, I don\'t think EB category matters as long as the priority date is current when you submit your application and remains current during the whole process. Normal case should take 12-14 months to complete the process. However, if your priority date retrogresses during the process, you may need 24 months to finish the process.

Got PP Stamped

After 4 hours waiting in line, I got my passport stamped. Process was quite simple. Submit passport, approval notice, two photoes, departure/arrival card. The office took my finger print and signiture and told me wait for 9 months for the plastic card. That\'s it.

Ken Hogan: What do you mean by priority date being "current"?

I have still not understood what you people mean when you say that an application will be considered when "priority date becomes current". How does priority date become current?

Priority Date

Here is the explanation of PD from www.immihelp.com

Priority Date
The person can apply for adjustment of status when his/her priority date is current. This can be checked at online or calling the state department telephone at 202-663-1541 (recorded message). The web site and the telephone system are updated around 15th of each month. The priority dates are the Department\'s means of establishing a waiting list for U.S. permanent residency in those Categories where the number of applicants qualified for permanent residence exceed the annual limit specified by Congress.

Priority date is your place in line for getting the green card. If you have filed for alien labor certification, then your priority date is the date on which your application was received by the state level agency (SESA). If instead of labor certificate, you are going through the NIW/EB1 route, then your priority date is the date you filed I-140 petition. Your priority date is based on your country of birth and preference category(EB2, EB3 etc.) Currently priority dates for all the countries are current. But occasionally priority date for countries like India and China go back because they have huge backlog because of per country quota and huge number of applications from those countries.

Current priority date means there is no waiting involved. All persons qualified for the category in question can immediately apply for adjustment of status (if within U.S.) or an immigrant visa (if outside the U.S.).

Unless the person has filed adjustment of status, the person would have to leave US if his/her six year H1(5 year L1) limit is expiring. Please note that to count the six year limit, the total time spent on H1+H4+L1+L2 is counted. Please note that it is possible to get your H-1B visa approved for more than 6 years in some cases depending upon your employment based green card processing status. Please refer to the appropriate section on H-1B visa page to find out more how you can extend your H-1B visa for more than 6 years, either 1 year at a time or 3 years at a time.

If the priority date retrogates after filing the adjustment of status application, that application would be achieved at INS and would no longer be processed until the priority date becomes current again. So it is wrong to think that once priority date is current and adjustment of status is applied, priority date does not matter to you any more. Priority date always matters until you get your green card.