I485 Approved! Can I travel using AP?

rapidfire09

Registered Users (C)
I got my I485 approval notice on May 26th stating that my case has been approved and will have to wait for biometrics processing. I went to Detroit INS office to get my passport stamped, which they denied by saying that PP stamping is only for emergency purpose. I want to visit Canada to attend a function. Can I travel using AP in the absence of PP Stamping?

Please advise.

Hi rapidfire09,

Congratulations!!!. Enjoy your freedom.

Since your I-485 is already approved, AP, EAD are null and void. So you cannot travel using AP. You have to wait till you get your plastic card or PP stamped.

Thanks freedom4ever,

Are you sure about this information, as I talked to my Lawyer and he told me that I could use my AP to come into US? I just want to take second opinion from this forum.

Please advise if somebody has been in similar situation before.

I got my passport stamped using a letter from my employer saying that I needed to travel due to business.

Your Lawyer is absolutely wrong

Don't leave with your AP. Get your PP stamped or wait for the card. Don't make such unwanted mistakes now that you already have your 485 approved.

DO NOT Travel without your Card or PP Stampped

rapidfire09 said:
Thanks freedom4ever,

Are you sure about this information, as I talked to my Lawyer and he told me that I could use my AP to come into US? I just want to take second opinion from this forum.

Please advise if somebody has been in similar situation before.

I am not sure why your lawyer advised you so...but "DO NOT" travel out of US without your Card in hand or your passport stampped.

If you can get a letter to state the reason of your travel that would be perfect.

Good Luck.

Also on the same note....
The moment GC is approved Your H1/L1/or any visa, EAD or AP are automatically void. Your dependent's H4/L2/or any dependent visa, EAD or AP are automatically void.

I would surely wait for my Card or if its urgent will get the GC stampped.

Good Luck.

I work close to Detroit Windsor Tunnel. So I went and asked immigration officer there. They told me that I could re-enter using AP. Though I had hard time explaining AOS status.

Hey Rapidfire09,

Ask the immigration officer again. Tell the officer that you are a permanent resident and can you use AP to enter US. I am sure the moment your I-485 is approved, H1-B, AP AND EAD is NULL AND VOID. Do not take risk. Get your PP Stamped, if you are planning to leave US. Your lawyer is wrong.

GOOD LUCK!!!!.

One of my friend faced problems

This is because he said that once they scan your AP, it would say invalid /expired since your 485 is approved.From then on they start questioning you.
If you are unlucky they might not let you enter.

I leave the decision to you.

my 2 cents..

Once your 485 is approved then your H/L/EAD/AP is invalid and also your dependants H/L only invalid, their EAD and AP is still valid because their 485 is not approved.

Also note that, when you are in USA and your 485 is approved, you can't travel without either stamping or plastic card. But if your 485 is approved say when you are india then you can use AP to come back to USA.

Hope this helps..

Get Pp

just go to get pp. I already did. They don't ask you any question. You just tell them your I485 approval and you want to get pp.

Detroit office is not stamping PP. So I will have to postpone my travel till the time..I get my physical card.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

One of my friend's 485 was approved couple of months back. He received email notification and online message also showed his case was approved. The immediate day he travelled to India without any passport stamping. Back at the port of entry he showed his AP and was able to enter without any problems.
I don't know whether it is right thing to do. May be he travelled the very next day and so they excused assuming he wasn't aware his GC was approved ?
I don't know how this works.

good question

FindFreedom said:
One of my friend's 485 was approved couple of months back. He received email notification and online message also showed his case was approved. The immediate day he travelled to India without any passport stamping. Back at the port of entry he showed his AP and was able to enter without any problems.
I don't know whether it is right thing to do. May be he travelled the very next day and so they excused assuming he wasn't aware his GC was approved ?
I don't know how this works.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
That's a really good question, and I wonder this myself, and hope some EXPERTS can shed some light on it.

See the following senarios:
1. if I-485 NOT yet approved before you leave the US, you can come back on valid AP;

2. and if I-485 approved before you leave, you need to get PP stamp or plastic card to come back;

3. and if I-485 approved while you are overseas, you can still come back on a valid AP.

However, the question is, what if your I-485 approved (per online/email), but you haven't receive any Approval Notice. It's very possible that you are not aware of the approval. Then you left for home country with a valid AP. Technically this situation falls in senario 2, which requires PP stamp or plastic card, but you may not know your I-485 was approved right before you left, OR, too late to change your travel plans...

IS there any guideline like a N-day grace period that USCIS or POE grant for this situation? For example, if there were a 5-day grace period, then if you left within 5 days after your I-485 approval, you are still able to come back on AP?

EXPERTS, PLEASE!! :confused:

When I asked immigration officer about this, he said it's possible to get back on a valid AP. He also mentioned that our systems (Detroit Windsor Tunnel) doesn't get updated right away after I485 is approved. System get updated only after 2 -3 months, so it's just a question of taking chance. If you thing you will be able to make it back before there system gets updated then you are fine otherwise you are in trouble.