I485 application: 2 people, two LIN's???

genemaster

Registered Users (C)
Please, this is very important to me: I have filed I140/485 concurrently for my spouse as my dependent and myself. Does this mean that we should have gotten 2 separate LIN numbers for ALL the applications including I140 and I485?
My lawyer tells me it is all one number....one for I140 and one for I485...I see that you guys are talking about separate numbers so what is the right info???

Thanks!!!

GM

you should get separate LIN numbers for applications for you and your spouse.
ie you should have 2 for 485 and 2 for 140

Please, this is very important to me: I have filed I140/485 concurrently for my spouse as my dependent and myself. Does this mean that we should have gotten 2 separate LIN numbers for ALL the applications including I140 and I485?
My lawyer tells me it is all one number....one for I140 and one for I485...I see that you guys are talking about separate numbers so what is the right info???

Thanks!!!

GM

Thanks, but the lawyers...

The lawyers are insisting on the fact that I have only 1 number for each application (for two people!). They say basically:"what is posted in your customer account is what we can give you"
This sucks, because, I see LIN's WAY past mine (or my wife's) being approved months ago while we're still stuck...do you know whether LIN's for applicants in the "same envelope" are given consecutive LIN's or are they randomly generated???

Thanks!

U should get receipt number for your I140 and another receipt number for your I485.

Your wife should get her receipt number for her I485.

Your 485 is different from your wife and they have different receipt numbers.

Ask your lawyer to send u copies of the receipt notices where it states both of your names.

Ask your lawyer to send you the receipts.
I485 is your application. Even if the company is paying for the cost of it (petition/lawyer fee etc), it still is your application. And you can demand that they send it to you.
On the other hand, I140 receipts, that you can only "request" them to send it to you (if not the original, at least a copy).

I would be wary of a lawyer who insists that only one number gets assigned to multiple applications. May be he is thinking the A#? That would be the same on an approved 140 that you use in the 485 application.

Note that each and every application sent to USCIS will have a receipt number assigned to it. That number will be unique (no other application will have that same receipt number assigned to it); and it can be used check the application status on the USCIS site by creating a portfolio and adding receipt numbers to your portfolio.

Thank you all..

It did seem odd that I did not get 2 numbers for each application.
I do have a customer portfolio with uscis but, like I said, only one number for each application in it. Therefore, I cannot track progress of both I485 cases and some of you here have a situation where primary is approved and beneficiary is still pending. That is why I wanted to know this. Thanks again...

GM

It does not make sense what your lawyer is saying, in my house we are 5 and all of us have one for each member of my family. Maybe your lawyer made a mistake in your case and don't want to tell you or he does not have enough experience in immigration case. Try to check with a different lawyer his response.

Application Number

The rule of thumb is ONE application -- ONE application number it could be i.e. EAC, LIN.... etc
Meaning each application you send to USCIS (could be any) H1b, I-140, I-485 … etc will be assigned an application number
I think this is the simplest explanation.

Your confusion is you are looking for Application number of I-140 for your wife and dependents, which you did not file.

Last edited by a moderator: