I20 is expiring, still waiting for OPT(Help)

bluan

Hi , when I applied OPT, the ISSSO officer in our school changed my I20 expiration time to be earlier than my OPT starting date. Is this standard procedure? Now, my I20 will expire soon and my OPT is still pending. Can I do thesis defense a week after my I20 expiration date? I am not allowed to receive salary from my advisor after I20 expires, right?
Please help. If you can answer any of these questions, please let me know.
Also welcome any comments any suggestions.
Thank you very much.

You got most of the stuff wrong.

1.) You have to graduate before the start date of Employment Authorization, failing to do so will result in a cancellation of OPT.

2.) Your I-20 normally expires on the university graduation date. Even if it doesn't your F-1 status will terminate in 60 days from the graduation date. The date on I-20 does not matter.

In other words, you have 60 days to wait for your OPT after the graduation date.

3.) If you plan on continuing your thesis after the graduation date, you cannot get your OPT in the next semester ( I am 95% sure about this, not 100%).

I am sure, this clarifies your doubts.

bluan said:
Hi , when I applied OPT, the ISSSO officer in our school changed my I20 expiration time to be earlier than my OPT starting date. Is this standard procedure? Now, my I20 will expire soon and my OPT is still pending. Can I do thesis defense a week after my I20 expiration date? I am not allowed to receive salary from my advisor after I20 expires, right?
Please help. If you can answer any of these questions, please let me know.
Also welcome any comments any suggestions.
Thank you very much.

thanks

Thank you for response. Is there any way to change OPT starting date to just 15 days later? I can finish thesis in this time period.