I140 filing concurrent or alone?

LCSilence

Registered Users (C)
Is it faster to file I-140 cocurrently with I485, or it is faster to wait for I140 approval then file for I485?

Or INS doesn't care which option, they just do it slowly?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant find the status online

Hi Everybody,

Iam really very very happy the way this discussion forum is.
Iam some what frustrated about my I-140.
I filed my I1-40 and I 485 concurrently in Mar and got all the reciepts and done finger printing too.
I could check the status of I-765, I-485 and I-130.but for I-140 it says there is no such application no.I did enter the 13 digit EAC no.
My question is will the I-140 status cant be searched online.If i can search why is not showing.

Pl help me.

Thank Q all

Try the automated phone system. BCIS is too busy to update the system, they can approve 1000s of cases in the meantime.

Thanks

Thanks for the help.
I did call on Automated Phone and it says it will take 30 - 365 days for processing this type of case.

once again thanks for the help.

Iam happy with forum with prompt answers.

Applications processed separately

You are better off applying concurrent. That way you start earning days towards the 180-day AC21 benefit. So as soon as you get the i-140 approved, you may already qualify for (or have little time left over for) usage of the AC21 portability. Which allows you to switch employers after 180 days of i485 application (based on an approved i-140 app).

On the other hand, if you apply 140 then 485 then you are just waiting longer for what can be a very useful backup plan for the rainy day.

I recommend apply concurrent

Yup. more or less

My colleagues got it in 1-2 months. it took mine 5 months. but on average 3 months sounds about right.

They are talking about BCIS issues EAD only after I140 approval. If so, could we get EAD from local office afer 3 months?

EAD Issued only after preliminary review of 140

You can always get it at the local office, but do not know how this situation will change after june 30 process changes.

In general, for concurrent filers, the EAD and AP approval happens after an IIO looks at the 140 to make sure that it is "approval worthy" without actually approving it.

Apply concurrently

LabourPain is right, applying concurrently will start your 180 days clock. Before issuing EAD INS would inspect your application to see if it is complete and worthy of approval. I received my I140 in 8 months (AD Jan 2 2003) and EAD/FP/AP in one month of filing I485 (RD Sept 02). You can always obtain an interim EAD from local office after 90 days of filing for EAD. Good luck.

LabourPain - just a question for you, when do you deliver your baby so then you can change your name to ParentPain!!

LOL - The history of my name

:D :D :D

Its not related to birth, but the pain i suffered was almost as bad while waiting 18 months for NYC SESA to approve my RIR (fast track, yeah right!!) application. So after about 9 months of waiting, i was desperate and signed on to this website for support and interactiing with fellow sufferes.

Hence the name, labor pain. I hope i wont have to change the name to 140Pain and 485Pain, because thats too much to handle.