I recieved letters with two different interview dates?

anjafromsweden

Registered Users (C)
I received an I-797C dated July 6 saying that our interview is on August 24 and listing a lot of hing to bring. Then I got a second letter, not on official USCIS letterhead, dated July 27, asking us to appear for an interview on September 14 and with a shorter list of things to bring. The second letter looks very unofficial, and the type is very big. But it has my name and A-number on it. What is the deal? Is there any way I need to attend two interviews? I am going to call them and ask, but I wanted to know if anyone selse has had a similar experience. We are traveling far to get to the interview, so I want to make sure it's on the right day...

Thanks.

anjafromsweden said:
I received an I-797C dated July 6 saying that our interview is on August 24 and listing a lot of hing to bring. Then I got a second letter, not on official USCIS letterhead, dated July 27, asking us to appear for an interview on September 14 and with a shorter list of things to bring. The second letter looks very unofficial, and the type is very big. But it has my name and A-number on it. What is the deal? Is there any way I need to attend two interviews? I am going to call them and ask, but I wanted to know if anyone selse has had a similar experience. We are traveling far to get to the interview, so I want to make sure it's on the right day...

Thanks.

You could call them, but the operators may not know much. Since you live too far to just get an Infopass quickly, why dont you just go to the 1st interview? Make sure to bring the second notice and ask the interviewer about it.

Best wishes

For sure, I'd take the earlier appointment, and bring the second appointment letter for clarification.

Thanks. I have called the 1-800 number three times, the first time they told me I had to go to both interviews, the second time they told me I should write a letter to the district office to find out, he third time they said I should "probably" go to the second interview. Wow.

Anyways, problem is my husband and I are flying back from Afghanistan for this, so it would be nice if it actually happened on the 24th.

Is there any way I would have to go to two interviews?

anjafromsweden said:
Thanks. I have called the 1-800 number three times, the first time they told me I had to go to both interviews, the second time they told me I should write a letter to the district office to find out, he third time they said I should "probably" go to the second interview. Wow.

Anyways, problem is my husband and I are flying back from Afghanistan for this, so it would be nice if it actually happened on the 24th.

Is there any way I would have to go to two interviews?

I do not think anyone can tell you that. I have seldom seen the need for applicants to go twice -- and that is only when a 2nd interview was scheduled for further evidence....not 2 interviews scheduled at the same time.

Regardless, plan on attending the first one. Hope that you do not have to attend the 2nd one, but there really is no certainty. Whatever you do, do not miss the 1st appointment like the one 1800 rep. told you ---they really give some very interesting advice sometimes. Best is to ask about the 2nd appointment at the 1st one.

anjafromsweden said:

Thanks.
A friend of mine recently was in the same situation: her mom received 2 interview dates. I told her not to miss the first one, otherwise the case could be considered abandoned. Before the interview date she received another letter telling her to disregard the second interview letter.

disregard second letter

sorry for the delay in posting a response. since the interview i have been in transit back to afghanistan.

i had the most pleasant interview experience i could have imagined, got the stamp in my passport, and the officer said that i could just toss the second letter. he said that a lot of people had been getting them for erroneous september interviews. he just chuckled and said "it's the government, you know". so i say you can just ignore it.

:)