I just did biometrics for I131 - do I HAVE to do it again for N400?

WhoRunTings

Registered Users (C)
Hi all...

I am just about ready to send in my N-400. My question is about the biometrics fee. I literally just had my biometrics done a few days ago for my pending I-131 (Application for Travel Document) application. Does anyone know if I can reuse my biometrics from that application for the N-400? I will call USCIS and ask tomorrow, but I wanted to shoot this off in parallel. I will keep you updated of what they say.

I suppose it is only $80 and several hours on the bus to get to the center for me, but I would rather save it if I can.

In case anyone is wondering why I am applying for I-131 at the same time as N-400... well, I launched my I-131 application quite a while ago, all for the purposes of having some quasi-official document to put visa stamps in (my country of nationality passport is expired). It is commonly down among folks that I know with expired passport. My country of current citizenship is not exactly whitelisted, so I have to get a visa from every country I go to, and of course I need to some place to put the visa... so I'm using the Travel Document for that. Worked once before!

Your fingerprints are "good" for 15 months. It's possible you're N-400 application may take longer to process and you'll need another set taken. Also, an IO (second level on the customer service line) told me that sometimes they take the fingerprints again even when you have a valid set on file. You'll know if they send you a fingerprint notice or not.

You have to do it again. The people in the office where they do the fingerprinting have to stay busy so they can keep their job.

Some have reported that their FPs from I-751 were on file and valid for naturalization process. USCIS should be able to look up your A# and see you have valid FP on file from I-131. Try talking to an IO who will be able to see this information.

got the USCIS official answer

Just called USCIS and they were very insistent that because I-131 and N-400 are two different applications, I would have to do the biometrics twice and there was no mechanism to reuse them. The biometrics are tied to the application, not the person. Dang.

I called twice and talked to two different people, just to double-check that I got consistent answers (which I did). Looks like I'll have to pay the $80 and take the bus ride for N-400 biometrics, even though I did my I-131 last week.

Cheers.

You'll have to pay the $80 regardless of if you have valid FPs on file or not since it's a required non refundable fee as part of the application.

You'll have to pay the $80 regardless of if you have valid FPs on file or not since it's a required non refundable fee as part of the application.

I agree you have to pay the fee,
I think the fingerprinting for I-131 is just one finger...and for N-400 it is all 10 fingers....so different process.

I agree you have to pay the fee,
I think the fingerprinting for I-131 is just one finger...and for N-400 it is all 10 fingers....so different process.

When I did it last week in Salinas, CA, the I-131 process was all 10 fingers (done with a very fancy machine that's actually pretty fun to watch if you are an algorithms nerd like me) plus a photo.