I have just been recommended for asylum.

nwabia

after my interview, I was giving a letter of recommendation after two weeks and was told that the final letter would come in the mail when they recive my fingerprint clarification from the FBI.My question is how longe will this take and when I get it what are the next steps.

Congratulations

Congratulations!

If you do not already have a work permit, you can apply for one right way. Your category is c8.

There is no way to predict the timeframe for the FBI response. Most people are cleared within three months. But some cases take far longer.

You can apply for your green card one year after getting your final approval.

Good luck.

Recommedation for Asylum

Can a person who has been here in the US for almost 4 years as described below apply now for asylum? Or it has to be done in the first year of stay?

His case is :
Professional transferred in 1998 with a L1-B visa. This visa was extended until 2004 when the assignment was extended, but internal policies didn\'t allow a longer stay.

While in his country getting ready to return suffered threats of kidnapping. He returned and found another job who processed the H1B.

Then he was laid off in October and is currently waiting the process of Change of Status to F1 visa.

The last date of entry was July 30, 2001.

Given that this person has proofs of the threats and documentation, can he still have a case for asylum, even if he has been here for 4 years with a couple of trips per year to his country?

I read somewhere that he has one year to apply for asylum, other people told us it was 60 days.

Can he still go to college while waiting for interview?

When can he start working? After or Before the interview?

THANKS and Good Luck!!

No Title

Can you please tell us whether or not you were in status (visa had not expired) at the time when you applied for asylum and at the time when you were called in for an interview. Do you think that it makes any difference (as long as you are within the one year)

Thanks,
Jameel

recommened asylum

At the time of my interviwe, and before I applied, I was already out of status, my I- 94 had expired, but I had not reached the one year dead line.

recommened asylum

It is usual practice to apply for asylum in your first year in the US. however, even your can still apply, if your still have strong fear of persecution at home but your must use a good lawyer that can really defend your case.

Good luck