• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I have got no money!

saurav110

hi all,
i was just wondering what should be the minimum amount that need to have in my bank account for my interview? I am a student and i do not think i can manage $13,000 in this short period of time.

:(:(:(

Try your luck, if you are based in the US chances are they might not even bother asking you for financial details

I have money, but don't have an account, can I just open up an account anytime or do I need to have it for a long time? :confused::confused::confused:

Saurav,
Is it mentioned in your interview letter for $13000? Where did this figure come from? I guess that shouldn't be the requirement since you are already here...

By the way can you tell me what are the things they have asked you to bring in the interview?

hi all,
i was just wondering what should be the minimum amount that need to have in my bank account for my interview? I am a student and i do not think i can manage $13,000 in this short period of time.

:(:(:(

I mentioned $13,000According to this site, even though its for different forms,http://http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864p.pdf

The letter is simple, has mere 2 pages and has asked to bring driver's ID, passport, social security card and if not submitted before, W2s and tax return. that's it!!!

Eventhough, It doesn't say that bank statements, financial documents or even $13,000 are REQUIRED, but i do not want to take any chances. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a grad student and if you are getting assistantship, then get the letter from the department mentioning the same and monthly stipend you get from it. That will help along with bank statement of whatever amount you can manage. That should be more than sufficient and you don't need to show $13K. Main thing is you already are in US and you are supporting yourself so far. So that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Last year, one student had gone to Nepal for consular processing and for the financial document, he had shown around $6k in his bank account and a letter from the department showing his assistantship.

I mentioned $13,000According to this site, even though its for different forms,http://http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864p.pdf

The letter is simple, has mere 2 pages and has asked to bring driver's ID, passport, social security card and if not submitted before, W2s and tax return. that's it!!!

Eventhough, It doesn't say that bank statements, financial documents or even $13,000 are REQUIRED, but i do not want to take any chances. :confused:

They won't ask you to show 13,000$!! Show whatever you can/have. Is there anyone on this forum who's gone through the interview in the last 6 months and who truly had to show that kind of money? So far I haven't read about such an experience.

I only had 6,000 on my bank account, half of it was borrowed 2 days before---they didn't even look at it, and I gave them a sponsorship letter (my American sponsor only wrote "I am willing and able to provide room and board if it becomes necessary...."--and they were pleased to see it, although nobody asked for it!) Savy17 gave you a great suggestion. By all means, bring the other financial documents they're asking for.

Good luck!

thnxs guys. i am an undergrad, i do not get any stipend, i work 20 hrs a week in a research lab n i really dun think a job letter from that place will work.

Saurav,
Is it mentioned in your interview letter for $13000? Where did this figure come from? I guess that shouldn't be the requirement since you are already here...

By the way can you tell me what are the things they have asked you to bring in the interview?

I figured out that, in my interview letter, along with my passport, driver's licence, EAD, social security and tax return, they also need a form I 864 (Affidavit of Support), tax transcripts and income of the sponsors.
I have no sponsors, so is it required to take the form during the interview? or is this some kind of general letter that applies to all??? :confused:

With regards to this Issue. Is an affidavit of support from a U.S Citizen (My sister's Husband) be enough? He makes in excess of $70K a year.

I am graduating from University around July and so will definitly not have enough cash in my account. Plus given the prevailing economic situation in America I am planning on staying working here in Europe and save enough money before moving to the U.S. Will that change anything?