I have Canadian PR, do I need visa to visit US

Shankar

Hi all,

I came to Canada on October 10, I have Permanent Residency status. I wish to know whether I need a visa to visit my sister who is in Atlanta, US.

No Title

No, provided you are a citizen of a common wealth nation. India is a common wealth nation,
and I am a citizen of India. Right now I am in Canada with canadian permanent residency.
Two months ago I went back to the US, along with my wife. I entered the US through
Buffalo. The INS officers checked our passports and canadian papers. They asked me
where I was working in canada, where I was going in the united states, when I would be
coming back, and why I was going. For the last question, I told them we were going on
vacation [It was a long week end]. They didn\'t even stamp our passports. Even while
coming back, at Canadian entrance, the Canadian official checked our passports and
Canada papers, and asked me how long we went to the US (I said four days), and
whether I was carrying any thing new goods. He did not even stamp our passports.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Good luck !!

YourFriend

No Title

I am not working at the moment, so does that make any difference, is it required that I have to show some proof of residence in Canada, like phone bill etc..

No Title

To be on safer side I carried my pay stubs, apartment contract, Bank statement, and telephone bill
of Canada following the suggestion of my friend. But, I was never asked for these documents.
I suggest you to carry as many documents as possible to prove your Canada stay if in case ....

Good luck Shankar !!

YourFriend

No Title

There are 53 nations which are the members of Commonwealth. You can look into any Encyclopedia for the names of the countries