I had my Infopass appointment today

doctorn

Registered Users (C)
To find out more about the issues of an adjusted asylee, I had an appointment in the USCIS office today. Here is the conversation that I had with the IO:
IO: What is the reason for your visit today?
I: I would like to learn more about travel documents. I got my GC based on asylum. My work requires a lot of international travel and there is a lot of confusing information about what travel documents are appropriate for my situation. Also, I would like to know if renewing my NP would be appropriate.
IO:Do you have your NP?
I: Yes, but it expires this year.
IO: Have you traveled on your NP since the grant of asylum?
I: No, I always traveled on RTD.
IO: Why?
I: Because I am an asylee and that is what I must use for travel abroad.
IO: So, what is different NOW? You still are an asylee. Yes, you have your permanent residence now, but it is based on asylum. You are given an option to adjust as a way to become a US citizen. Until then you are still an asylee.
I: So, what should I use for international travel now?
IO: RTD. What is the issue with RTD?
I: It takes time to get it, it is valid for one year and then airlines require at least three months of the remaining validity to let me on board. I often have to cancel my work travel plans because of this.
IO: Have you used your NP to travel anywhere outside US after getting your GC?
I: No. Always an RTD
IO: I can not tell you directly one way or another - to renew your NP or not. It is your decision. But if I were you I would continue traveling on RTD. The fact that you address the embassy of the country, from which you are an asylee to get a new passport will make your situation strained. The new rules that pertain to your situation have just been released.
I: The fact sheet?
IO: Oh, you know about it?
I: That is part of the reason why I am here.
IO:You waited long enough, just wait until your US citizenship. (She repeated this again) If I were you I would continue traveling on RTD.

I forgot to ask about a RP - the circumstances
under which this "appointment" was happening were not very relaxing - I had a whole line of impatient people waiting right behind me. I will go again and ask about the RP. But I got an answer to my questions.

I guess different IOs have different understandings. It is so different from others' experience with IO. Confused now.

confused~

I ma so confused, because i had the same experience, and the told me are u a permanent resident? and I said Yes, but is based on asylum, the IO answered me: you can travel with your NP or RTD

goodatlast said:
I guess different IOs have different understandings. It is so different from others' experience with IO. Confused now.

I guess, they do give different recommendations. Reading the other posts about other people's appointments, I was also expecting something like that - you are a PR now, you can use your NP OR your RTD. What she told me was somewhat shocking. But I guess, I would rather stay safe because there may be an IO that thinks just like her at the POE when I come from the trip abroad. Or, worse, during the citizenship interview. Better safe than sorry for me. I do not intend to go to my COP - can live without NP for few more years. NP would be more convenient for other trips, since it is valid for 10 years. But if the renewal of NP is going to cause problems before or during the citizenship process - I am not willing to take that risk. I waited long enough to get to this point, what's another three years?
I so wish the RTD was valid for longer than it is!!!!!

doctorn said:
I guess, they do give different recommendations. Reading the other posts about other people's appointments, I was also expecting something like that - you are a PR now, you can use your NP OR your RTD. What she told me was somewhat shocking. But I guess, I would rather stay safe because there may be an IO that thinks just like her at the POE when I come from the trip abroad. Or, worse, during the citizenship interview. Better safe than sorry for me. I do not intend to go to my COP - can live without NP for few more years. NP would be more convenient for other trips, since it is valid for 10 years. But if the renewal of NP is going to cause problems before or during the citizenship process - I am not willing to take that risk. I waited long enough to get to this point, what's another three years?
I so wish the RTD was valid for longer than it is!!!!!

You should've asked about RP and do not worry what other people behind you want/say...

wantmygcnow said:
You should've asked about RP and do not worry what other people behind you want/say...

I was too stressed : about the line behind me, about the answers that the IO was giving me, the thought of RP just left my brain... I will make another appointment and ask about the RP now. Or, may be even about the whole thing again, if I get a different IO. Just for fun
:)

same problem

I am going to try again with another IO, because you (doctorn) got a shocking answer from the IO, sometimes I think they don't know what are they talking about, in my case I am traveling abroad all the time, I used my NP a couple times already because the IO told me, I had no problem, I didn't visit my COP, but was before january 12th, now I sent the money and the papers to get another RTD 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting so see what is going to happen..If I have to travel abroad again, I am a person with NO JOB!!!!! becasue I don;t have a RTD... :confused:

I just made another infopass appointment - in one week from now. Will let you all know what they say about RP.

just let me know

I am leaving from training on sunday and I won't be able to do another appoiment after march 16.. I am really sad, that i can loose my job..and have problems with my citizenship, thank you for all the information that you post here! I really appreciate it!!! :)

doctorn said:
I just made another infopass appointment - in one week from now. Will let you all know what they say about RP.

You are a Permanent Resident. You go and say I am a PR and then you say I used to travel using a RTD. Do I still need that? Or can I travel with a NP or RP? I called the 800 number and they said that NP was ok. I am here to validate and maybe you can give me something in writing.

When he asked you "why you used RTD to travel", you had to say... that was the ONLY travel document available to me but since now i am a PR, the officers at the 800 number have told me that I can use my NP or RP to travel SINCE I AM A PR and my class is of a permanent resident..

Best of luck.

I would ask all the members(mostly who have gone back to their COP) and get some guts and clear this issue for us all. I went..doctorn went..Now its your turn.

same answers

I went in person and I called on the phone(800 Number) and I received the same answers..NP ok to travel. RTD OK if you can't get a NP

wantmygcnow said:
You are a Permanent Resident. You go and say I am a PR and then you say I used to travel using a RTD. Do I still need that? Or can I travel with a NP or RP? I called the 800 number and they said that NP was ok. I am here to validate and maybe you can give me something in writing.

When he asked you "why you used RTD to travel", you had to say... that was the ONLY travel document available to me but since now i am a PR, the officers at the 800 number have told me that I can use my NP or RP to travel SINCE I AM A PR and my class is of a permanent resident..

Best of luck.

I would ask all the members(mostly who have gone back to their COP) and get some guts and clear this issue for us all. I went..doctorn went..Now its your turn.

Hmmm??

Why do I get this funny feeling that you totally made up this story? Interestingly, the INS officer was on cue giving you all the answers you wanted to hear. Hmmm? Were you also offered donuts and hot chocolate?

By the way, no INS officer would have identified the "Fact Sheet" as a rule. A "rule" under US law is an agency regulation that needs to be published on a Federal Register before becoming effective. That is what happens when people dabble in things they do not know.

Please do not waste your time and breath! The discussion and thinking in this Forum is very nuanced and sophisticated. People would know when someone is making a complete ass of himself!

Cheerio

doctorn said:
To find out more about the issues of an adjusted asylee, I had an appointment in the USCIS office today. Here is the conversation that I had with the IO:
IO: What is the reason for your visit today?
I: I would like to learn more about travel documents. I got my GC based on asylum. My work requires a lot of international travel and there is a lot of confusing information about what travel documents are appropriate for my situation. Also, I would like to know if renewing my NP would be appropriate.
IO:Do you have your NP?
I: Yes, but it expires this year.
IO: Have you traveled on your NP since the grant of asylum?
I: No, I always traveled on RTD.
IO: Why?
I: Because I am an asylee and that is what I must use for travel abroad.
IO: So, what is different NOW? You still are an asylee. Yes, you have your permanent residence now, but it is based on asylum. You are given an option to adjust as a way to become a US citizen. Until then you are still an asylee.
I: So, what should I use for international travel now?
IO: RTD. What is the issue with RTD?
I: It takes time to get it, it is valid for one year and then airlines require at least three months of the remaining validity to let me on board. I often have to cancel my work travel plans because of this.
IO: Have you used your NP to travel anywhere outside US after getting your GC?
I: No. Always an RTD
IO: I can not tell you directly one way or another - to renew your NP or not. It is your decision. But if I were you I would continue traveling on RTD. The fact that you address the embassy of the country, from which you are an asylee to get a new passport will make your situation strained. The new rules that pertain to your situation have just been released.
I: The fact sheet?
IO: Oh, you know about it?
I: That is part of the reason why I am here.
IO:You waited long enough, just wait until your US citizenship. (She repeated this again) If I were you I would continue traveling on RTD.

I forgot to ask about a RP - the circumstances
under which this "appointment" was happening were not very relaxing - I had a whole line of impatient people waiting right behind me. I will go again and ask about the RP. But I got an answer to my questions.

TortFeasor said:
Why do I get this funny feeling that you totally made up this story? Interestingly, the INS officer was on cue giving you all the answers you wanted to hear. Hmmm? Were you also offered donuts and hot chocolate?

By the way, no INS officer would have identified the "Fact Sheet" as a rule. A "rule" under US law is an agency regulation that needs to be published on a Federal Register before becoming effective. That is what happens when people dabble in things they do not know.

Please do not waste your time and breath! The discussion and thinking in this Forum is very nuanced and sophisticated. People would know when someone is making a complete ass of himself!

Cheerio

Well, you just stick to that feeling. And you are completely right about people knowing who is making an ass of himself ...

well,ok then listen to this.

i have recently talked to an IO...here is the story;
Me:I have a GC based on asylum, what kind of travel documents do i have to use?
IO: Ohh, ok you have GC?
Me:Yes, i have
IO:Ok then take your GC and your AMERICAN passport.
Me: but i am not citizen yet.i have GC.
IO: oh ohhhh ok then take NP+GC and your american passport.
Me:Miss, you dont understand i am not a US citizen.Would please ask your supervisor,then she puts me on hold talks to her supervisor.
IO:eek:k as i told you now you US passport and GC.
Me: i do not have a US passport miss! Can you understand me.(awhile later)
IO:i spoke my supervisor again she told me, since you are PR you can use your NP+GC

how is this story?

KaLpsiz said:
well,ok then listen to this.

i have recently talked to an IO...here is the story;
Me:I have a GC based on asylum, what kind of travel documents do i have to use?
IO: Ohh, ok you have GC?
Me:Yes, i have
IO:Ok then take your GC and your AMERICAN passport.
Me: but i am not citizen yet.i have GC.
IO: oh ohhhh ok then take NP+GC and your american passport.
Me:Miss, you dont understand i am not a US citizen.Would please ask your supervisor,then she puts me on hold talks to her supervisor.
IO:eek:k as i told you now you US passport and GC.
Me: i do not have a US passport miss! Can you understand me.(awhile later)
IO:i spoke my supervisor again she told me, since you are PR you can use your NP+GC

how is this story?

Its better to call a deaf/mute/dumb or even a person who doesnt speak english rather than the 1800 number folks at USCIS.

asylee01 said:
Want, please don't get me stated :mad:

What have i said that is wrong? Tell me one time that valid info was given by the 1800 number people?????????????????????????????????????

wantmygcnow said:
What have i said that is wrong? Tell me one time that valid info was given by the 1800 number people?????????????????????????????????????
oh no i couldn't agree more, i meant i can start talking about the wrong info, impatience, rudeness, arrogance and the humiliation that associate with dealing with the CIS whether on the phone or in person. I know this is a negative thought but it's true.