I got my green card in the mail today....

bakeral

Registered Users (C)
Finally..my case is approved and I am very very happy...I got my green card in the mail today:D
I have a few questions to the experts on this forum:

My I-94 with my asylee status stamped on it. What do I do with it when I travel abroad and now I have my green card. Do I need to surrender it or what? I know I will travel with my GC and refugee travel document or reentry permit with my status as permanent resident printed on it. ( I will not use my national passport, it has expired and I do not want to anyway.)

I already have an unrestricted social security card based on my asylee status. Should I get a new social security card since my status changed from asylee to permanent resident now? Should I go the Social security office and inform them of my new status?

My drivers license does not expire until 2011. Should I go to the DMV and inform them of my new status or what should I do? I have had my driver license since the late 1990s and I renewed it last in 2006 and the CA DMV gave me a 5 year license because of my clean driving record. Should I tell them that I became a permanent resident now?

Thank you guys and good luck to all who are waiting.

My Notice date is 09/2005
Green card approved 09/05/2008
Green card received 09/11/2008

Finally..my case is approved and I am very very happy...I got my green card in the mail today:D
I have a few questions to the experts on this forum:

My I-94 with my asylee status stamped on it. What do I do with it when I travel abroad and now I have my green card. Do I need to surrender it or what? I know I will travel with my GC and refugee travel document or reentry permit with my status as permanent resident printed on it. ( I will not use my national passport, it has expired and I do not want to anyway.)

I already have an unrestricted social security card based on my asylee status. Should I get a new social security card since my status changed from asylee to permanent resident now? Should I go the Social security office and inform them of my new status?

My drivers license does not expire until 2011. Should I go to the DMV and inform them of my new status or what should I do? I have had my driver license since the late 1990s and I renewed it last in 2006 and the CA DMV gave me a 5 year license because of my clean driving record. Should I tell them that I became a permanent resident now?

Thank you guys and good luck to all who are waiting.

My Notice date is 09/2005
Green card approved 09/05/2008
Green card received 09/11/2008

Congrats! No more I-94 crap for you. Forget about it. And I don't think you should change your SSC since you already have the unrestricted one. I also don't think DMV really cares about your Green Card that much. :)

Congrats! No more I-94 crap for you. Forget about it. And I don't think you should change your SSC since you already have the unrestricted one. I also don't think DMV really cares about your Green Card that much. :)

Yes, I agree. You don't need to do anything at this point.

As far as the DMV is concerned, I know some REAL ID states (like mine) put a big "TEMP. IMMIGR STATUS" or something of that sort if you don't have a GC If that bothers you, you can have it removed by showing them your GC. It may help you during a traffic stop.. but you said you had a clean driving record so I doubt you get stopped very often. :) Congrats!

Thank you all for your support

Thank you for all your responses and good luck to all those who are waiting:)