I can't file an adjust of status after 2 years!!!

myaj

Registered Users (C)
I filed for adjust of status and I got denied for some stupid reasons, long story, then I applied for MTR and when I received a letter from INS it says,
now I can reopen my case, and they were talking about the instruction on how to reopen..... and what shocked me is the end of the letter, which said
that I have to get apporved before my second anniversary and that I can no longer apply for adjustment of status after my second marriage anniversary!!! why is that?
my first worries is that now my application to reopen the denied I-485 is still in process and my 2nd anniversary is next week :mad:
I haven't been approved yet, and I haven't heard anything from th INS,
why they're asking me to get approved before my second anniversary?
and if I pass that deadline what would happen then?

myaj said:
I filed for adjust of status and I got denied for some stupid reasons, long story, then I applied for MTR and when I received a letter from INS it says,
now I can reopen my case, and they were talking about the instruction on how to reopen..... and what shocked me is the end of the letter, which said
that I have to get apporved before my second anniversary and that I can no longer apply for adjustment of status after my second marriage anniversary!!! why is that?
my first worries is that now my application to reopen the denied I-485 is still in process and my 2nd anniversary is next week :mad:
I haven't been approved yet, and I haven't heard anything from th INS,
why they're asking me to get approved before my second anniversary?
and if I pass that deadline what would happen then?

Doesnt make sense at all.... :confused:

Often, the term "second anniversary" is used in connection with removal of conditions from your conditional green card and dont think it applies to your case. I dont know much about MTR, pl call up USCIS and get things sorted out or consult a lawyer. It doesnt make sense at all...

That is very strange.
Sounds like there is a limit of time to apply for AOS? Never heard about it, because there are cases that takes longer and the spouse receives the 10 year residency instead of the conditional because has passed more than 2 years.

Check with USCIS, send a letter in priority mail and that you are reopenening your I-485 (with a copy of your receipt's MTR that is pending), which means you haven't been granted any status yet but you are STILL married with your same spouse.

A question...your A# haven't change right?

Good luck,

cherr1980 said:
A question...your A# haven't change right?

no my A# hasn't changed, and it seems weird to me as well, because the two years limit is only to change from conditional to permanent resident...
the problem is that they wrote me that at the end of the letter which was telling me that I can reopen my case MTR, it's not like something that was said in a seperate letter... it's really confusing, and my anniversary will be next week :( , people get excited about their anniversaries but it doesn't look the case to me, anyways hope everything will be just fine, pray for me guys.
thanks!