i am so confused about J-1 visa! helpppp! thanx

Hey everyone, i have a question regarding the 30 day grace period.

i know all J-1 visa holders are allowed to travel in U.S. for up to 30 days after the end of program if our I-94 form is indicated as D/S.

however , something posted on the department of state website really confuses and worries me.

on the website:

ON THE ONE HAND, it says staying in U.S. after the end date of program printed on the DS2019 will result in you being "out of status" and being out of status is a VIOLATION of IMMIGRATION LAW , which will affect your eligibility for a visa in the future for return travel in U.S.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it says all J-1 visa holders are permitted to travel in U.S. for up to 30 days beyond the end date of their program printed on DS2019 form.

so i am really confused, and really wanna confirm one thing if staying for up to 30 days after the end of program is BREAKING THE IMMIGRATION LAW OR NOT?

because i am pretty sure we will be " out of status" if we continue to stay in U.S. for up to 30 days after the end of our programs EVEN THOUGH we are granted the 30 day grace period.

and on their website, it says BEING OUT OF STATUS is a violation of immigration law.

i am so confused and feel what is said on department of state website so CONTRADICTORY and MIND-BENDING to me.

can anyone who knows that well give me A :! clarity?

thanks
:confused:

What this basically means is: once your j1 program finishes, you have 30 days to pack your stuff and get the H**L out of this country. So for e.g. If your J1 program finishes on 30th June, 2008....you could stay here in USA till July 2008. However, If you leave USA on lets say 5th July, 2008 ...then I dont think that you will be allowed back in the country on the same visa. Hope this helps!!!!

What this basically means is: once your j1 program finishes, you have 30 days to pack your stuff and get the H**L out of this country. So for e.g. If your J1 program finishes on 30th June, 2008....you could stay here in USA till July 2008. However, If you leave USA on lets say 5th July, 2008 ...then I dont think that you will be allowed back in the country on the same visa. Hope this helps!!!!

thanks indiana, i got reply from U.S. CONSULATE, they explained everything very clearly, thanks for your reply though.