I am one now! but...

WhichWay2Go

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Did the Oath yesterday. It was all pretty cool and smooth. Finally I am a US Citizen.

I went to the Passport center which is a couple of blocks from the Oath Court house and in the Maricopa Police department buildings. I had parked in the multi-story parking lot opposite the Oath Court house, ($12 for 3 hours) so I walked.

I stood in line to drop off the application and was asked for a check or money order. I said, I was told you also take cash and credit cards as I had no checks with me. Previously I had checked the Passport website and they said to phone and ask about cash. I had done that about a week earlier and was told they take cards and cash as well.

"Nope," Check or money order only. They will take credit cards but only to a max of $25.00. Aaaarrggghhhh. :)

Bummer so I had to visit a friend in Phx and got them to write me a check which I then took to a Post Office. The PO charged me another 25-bucks for their handling of the paperwork.

So now it is waiting for the passport to arrive. But basically I don't give a damn about the hassles etc, I AM A US CITIZEN. That makes everything OK by me.

Thanks to everyone who provided such great information and encouragement along the way. A wonderful bunch of people here.

Congrats.

Did you also apply for passport card at athe additonal expense of $ 20?

"Nope," Check or money order only. They will take credit cards but only to a max of $25.00. Aaaarrggghhhh. :)

Bummer so I had to visit a friend in Phx and got them to write me a check which I then took to a Post Office..

Another solution would hav ebeen to buy a money order at the post office while you were there.

Did you also apply for passport card at athe additonal expense of $ 20?

Thanks guys, yes I decided to go for the full deal.

@Auscal
I didn't think of doing that. I was so bummed I just called my friend and said I was coming over for a check. Not thinking all that clearly. It was a heady day of excitement. :) You are correct, I could have just done it all at the Post Office. DUH! Ah well, next time. :D

The $25 excecution fee (as notes on dept of state website) is for the postal dept. I hope you didnt pay two $25 fees.

And, yes, the instructions about what type of payment is accepted is messed up. The stuff on state dept cite is for their own. And the post office sets their own rules about what is accepted.

Congratulations on becoming Citizen and Enjoy.

You are an anally retentive guy, yet you did not go to the SSA office to update their records before you submitted your naturalisation certificate to the passport agency :)

yet you did not go to the SSA office to update their records before you submitted your naturalisation certificate to the passport agency

Ah König,

One needs to be careful about making a decision on too little, or assumed information. The SSA people were at the Oath Ceremony and the forms were in the packets on our chairs.

They had a table outside the Court room and two SSA workers were accepting the forms after checking the Certificate and Drivers License. :D

The $25 excecution fee (as notes on dept of state website) is for the postal dept. I hope you didnt pay two $25 fees.

Hi Absrao,

I had a check for $95 (book = $75 and card = $20) and the PO clerk then asked for another $25 so I don't think I paid twice. It looks correct according to the first items in this link...

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Thanks for suggesting it though.

The stuff on state dept cite is for their own.

Early last week I had called the passport center that I went to and asked if they take cash and cards for passports. They said "yes". They do take cards but only a max of 25-bucks. The person I spoke to forgot mention that and the fact that cash was no good. :(

Driving over to my friend's I thought I should have said to her, "here's $100 cash, how about you write me one for $95 from your check book." Hindsight. :D

Last edited by a moderator: