I am currently on H4. If I use EAD to get the SSN, will it change my status?

Is it safe to do?

My wife also n the same boat. But could she get a SSN without having any job? If yes, How safe it is?

I don\'t think SSN will change the STATUS.

INS and SSA is two different organizations, I don\'t think your status will change if you take SSN. There are thousands of H4 having SSNs. SSA use to issue SSN wheather or not you are permitted to work in US, SSN was required to obtain Driver Licence, now the rules has changed in most of States and Issueing DL without SSN and stopped giving SSNs for H4s also.

If SSN changes the status what will happen to all the people who have SSN on H4 ?

SSN

If we take SSn after getting EAD will there be any effect in tax filing even if u dont work

ITN is required for H4 instead of SSN

Effective Jan\'98 SSN is not required and generally speaking is not given to H4 candidates (I am not a lawyer but was told the same when I applied for my family). ITN number (same format as SSN number) is issued by IRS and can be substituted for SSN for DL, Bank account, Taxes etc etc..

ITIN query

When the IRS issues a ITIN to an individual, it specifically states that it is for tax purposes only; all along I was assuming that it can be used only for filing taxes. Have you come across anyone using it for opening bank accounts and obtaining a Drivers License; just curious.

EAD and SSN

Sometime ago I enquired with my lawyer about the implication of getting a SSN for my wife who is on H4; she recently got her EAD and has no intention of working right away. I wanted the SSN for her so that she could start building her credit history and get a DL. My lawyers opinion was that merely getting a SSN using EAD would not activate the EAD and hence she would continue to be on H4. It\'s only when she started working would she lose her H4 status.
--
Query : All these years I have been using her ITIN during filing taxes; once she gets her SSN do I need to inform the IRS that I will be using her SSN from now on? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Does the use of EAD by H4 spouse, automatically cancels H1 holder\'s H1 also?

If H1 holder is not using EAD, but H4 holder starts using EAD both of them loose their H status or just spouse? If both looses do we need to inform HR about use of EAD instead of H1?

No Title

vivaite,
When you get a SSN you must start using that no. for tax purposes instead of your ITIN and as soon as you get your SSN you must inform your SSN to IRS to update their records.For this you need to send a copy of your SSN and a copy of your ITIN to IRS.We did the same thing.

todal333,
I don\'t think once H4 start using EAD the primary applicant lose his H1 status.But the H4 definitely lose H4 status.

GCMaster

GCMaster, thanks

for the information. I guess, a simple letter alongwith copies of the SSN and ITIN should do.
Thanks again.