I am Back in US using AP

parshu

Registered Users (C)
HI All,

you might know,I went to India on Jan 25th used AP(H-1 expired) by AIr India, Newark-Paris-Mumbai.

important highlights

No Transit visa required.
No issues while going back.(Note you can also take a Laptop to India without customs harasshing -new Law)

WHile coming back- Bombay Airport asked for a original AP. I said I had one original and a copy they took the copy.
Again no transit Visa.
AT port of entry,took me for secondary checking ,(first time AP user). Was sitting there for 2 hrs because there were many people inside. Then the officer called and asked "how long I was out of country and why do you have to adjust your status"

Hope this info helps somebody.

Parshu

Parshu....
u missed the important part... what did u reply for "why do you have to adjust your status"

I too have used AP three times so far, every time was taken to secondary inspection. First time I was really harrassed (but I kept my cool). Rest of the two times, very straight forward secondary inspection, with usual questions.

truly amazing....in the bad kind of way......they tell us I485 stage is perfectly legal ... and that Advanced Parole is a legal way to re-enter the country when we are in this phase.....and then subject us to harassment and extensive interrogation as if we have done something that an H1B stamp holder has not done.............truly amazing what all these folks can get away with......

The way I answered the questions.

1)How long ....- Straight forward 4 weeks

2)WHy do you have to adjust your status
.. I was confused by the question cos I was not expecting this question I was prepared for more like show ur 485 receipt, show EAD or another form of US ID etc. So I just paused and thought really quick in mind and said I have employment based Green proces going on and so I have to adjust my status.

The officer stamped the documents and gave back.
My observation was , the office did not care much about what I answer she just kept me busy while checking and stamping the documents. It was not like she keeps the documetns aside and just grill you.

SOrry for not posting the answers innthe first post.

Parshu

All,

Just for information
My wife is back into US using AP day before yesterday at Newark,NJ. She was taken for seondary checking also. She gave the passport, AP and custom and I94 forms. There the office asked for the SSN number and asked what does she do. SHe was out in 45 minutes. No issues, No other documents asked.

Hope this info helps somebody.

Parshu.

485 -
RD 09/03/2002
ND 09/13/2002.
For both of us.

parshu,

This could be with the officer a POE... because last year I used by AP at dallas TX... I went in for secondary checking ... there was only one officer and two people before me... office didn't asked any question and just took passport and AP checked something on computer and stamped passport and AP...

I did asked him, if I have to use the different copy of AP next time and his response was "I have to use same copy as many time I travel during the validity of this AP document"....

may be for that office the day might not be going as planned ...

parshu:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this forum, it is very nice of you.

M2002

My wife

came in through Chicago and did not have to go through secondary inspection. The officer saw her AP and stamped it right there. No waiting at all.

Is it really true ?

I am not sure if everybody is ok with the time for secondary checking ? 2hrs for the principal and 45 min for spouse ?

I think I was not have more than 10 min of waiting when I was in H1. I am planning to go on vacation this summer but this secondary interrogation seems to put me off !

:confused:

I've used the AP twice and the secondary inspection has not taken more than 10 minutes when it was my turn in line.

Both times have been painless - was asked my job title and some small talk.

Hi guys,

I have to travel to Russia ASAP and I haven't been out of the US in 5.5 years and never traveled on AP.
Could you guys tell me which line am I supposed to go through with a valid AP?

Apprecaite your input.

I think you will have to, since getting approved still means you need to go for the interview and stamping.

Perhaps someone else can give you a more authoritative answer.