I-94

Ahmed Hossain1

Registered Users (C)
I need help. yesterday I was coming from Canada. The Immigration officer stamped " Admitted As H1 until Oct 2001." on the new I-94.where as my H1 is valid till 2003. When I told the Officer that my H1 is valid till 2003. He told me that I violated my status because I traveled on H1 while my Adjustment of status was is in process.
Today I called my lawyer about the development and asked her opinion. she told me that I can use my old I-94 which had a validation date till 2003. But I think she is wrong. Once any one leaves the country then his/her old i-94 becomes invalid if that person gets a new I-94 during his arrival.
I need information if any one extended his/her I-94 through local INS office or knows about the process.
Thanks
Tampa

What a nightmare!

I am also waiting for my green card (RD 4/23/01). While waiting for my AP and EAD I asked my lawyer if I could travel to Canada. She said yes, I could do it even if my H1B visa had expired (I have extension of H1B but no new stamp, and my original I-94 is expired I got a new I-94 with the H1B extension.) She sent me this law text to confirm that I could travel (now I am so happy I did not travel!!):

"The INS inspector should update the date of expiration to
the date of entry. This regulation at 22 CFR Sec 41.112(d):

(d) Automatic extension of validity at ports of entry. (1) Provided
that the requirements set out in paragraph (d)(2) of this section are
fully met, the following provisions apply to nonimmigrant aliens seeking
readmission at ports of entry:
    (i) The validity of an expired nonimmigrant visa issued under INA
101(a)(15) may be considered to be automatically extended to the date of
application for readmission, and
    (ii) In cases where the original nonimmigrant classification of an
alien has been changed by INS to another nonimmigrant classification,
the validity of an expired or unexpired nonimmigrant visa may be
considered to be automatically extended to the date of application for
readmission, and the visa may be converted as necessary to that changed
classification.
    (2) The provisions in paragraph (d)(1) of this section are
applicable only in the case of a nonimmigrant alien who:
    (i) Is in possession of a Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record,
endorsed by INS to show an unexpired period of initial admission or
extension of stay, or, in the case of a qualified F or J student or
exchange visitor or the accompanying spouse or child of such an alien,
is in possession of a current Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for
Nonimmigrant Student Status, or Form IAP-66, Certificate of Eligibility
for Exchange Visitor Status, issued by the school the student has been
authorized to attend by INS, or by the sponsor of the exchange program
in which the alien has been authorized to participate by INS, and
endorsed by the issuing school official or program sponsor to indicate
the period of initial admission or extension of stay authorized by INS;
    (ii) Is applying for readmission after an absence not exceeding 30
days solely in contiguous territory, or, in the case of a student or
exchange visitor or accompanying spouse or child meeting the
stipulations of paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section, after an absence
not exceeding 30 days in contiguous territory or adjacent islands other
than Cuba;
    (iii) Has maintained and intends to resume nonimmigrant status;
    (iv) Is applying for readmission within the authorized period of
initial admission or extension of stay;
    (v) Is in possession of a valid passport; and
    (vi) Does not require authorization for admission under INA
212(d)(3)."

No Title

I also think that if you get a new I-94, the old one should be no longer valid. In my case, I have entered from Mexico to US with my old I-94 and I believe everything remains the same. You should be able to travel on H-1 while your I-485 is pending. Do you have a new H-1 visa or just an old (expired) one?

No Title

I have two I-94. One of the I-94 is the bottom part of the H1 approval notice ( which is valid till 2003). And the new one which I got two days ago is valid till 22nd Oct 2001.

I think you are safe

if you still have the I-94 that came with your renewal of H1B, I think that you are safe and should not worry. If I was you I would just use that if I need to, and forget about the cranky officer at the border... after all, you still have another I-94 valid for two more years.

No Title

But my new I-94 has the later date. If I don\'t go out USA then will I become out status after the new I-94 expired( which is Oct 22nd 2001)

I still don\'t think you need to worry

INS seems to be handling most paperwork manually, so probably no one will even know if you just don\'t show that new I-94...
And how could you possible be in trouble if you have in your hands another I-94 that tells that it is valid to 2003?
I think that the officer at the border only enjoyed scaring you, I have seen that too often. Some of these guys just get a kick out of making people scared.
My wife was at one occasion told that she no longer could enter the US even as a visitor, and that if she ever tried, the computer system would show it and all kind of bad things would happen to her and to the person that she was travelling with.
Next day, after taking care of the problem that had upset the first officer, she crossed the border. To be safe, she mentioned what had happened to the new officer handling her papers, and he just shrugged his shoulders. Obviously there was no truth in the treaths about a report put onto the INS computer system..
But to feel good, talk to your lawyer again and make sure that you get the facts in writing. Don\'t worry.

No Title

Thanks.
But when I got the new I-94 with validity till Oct 22nd 2001 then I would assume that INS also has the record that my I-94 is valid till Oct 2001.

No Title

Not really. INS probably keeps the hard copy of it but I doubt they will input it into computer system.

nothing to worry

The officer at the booth is probably trying to scare you.
In my case, my I-94 (latest) was also expiring( due to early passport expiration) before the one attached to my H1. So I went to detroit INS and talked to an officer.
She said that while in AOS, i-94 has no meaning i.e. if it expires it is ok as long as your 485 is pending. But you should not to travel during AOS with an expired I-94 ( unless you have AP)

No Title

Today I talked to two IIO about this I-94 issue. First one was a lady very arrogant told me that I should correct the problem but did not give enough information how to correct the problem. She almost blame me that it was my fault by not showing the H1 approval notice to the INS inspector at the port of entry. The second IIO was a man and was polite also suggested me to correct the problem by going to the local INS office and talk to someone in the deferred inspection section.

I also talked to my lawyer she said that I would be fine. I don\'t need to go to the INS office. My lawyer also talked to local INS office the local INS office suggested her that I can still use my old I-94 (Bottom part of my H1 approval).
I am really getting confused. Two IIO told me to correct the problem but the lawyer and local INS office told me other way. But when I was talking to the IIO I did not tell them that I applied for the AOS.

Visa-exempt H1 status

Cobwebs: Are you Canadian? The reason I ask is that I am a Canadian citizen (H1B) and I had just filed my I485. I need to travel outside the US immediately. My AP has not arrived yet. As a visa-exempt citizen, do you know if I would need a passport-stamped H1 to re-enter without causing problems with my AOS application? Thank you.

No Title

No. You do not need a H-1 visa if it NOT required. 8 C.F.R. SECTION 245.2(a)(4)(i) (C) PROVIDES THAT TRAVELING WHEN YOUR AOS IS PENDING WILL NOT BE DEEMED AN ABANDONMENT IF "THE ALIEN REMAINS ELIGIBLE FOR H STATUS, IS COMING TO RESUME EMPLOYMENT WITH THE SAME EMPLOYER, AND IS IN POSSESSION OF A VALID H VISA (IF REQUIRED) AND THE ORIGINAL I-797 RECEIPT NOTICE FOR THE APPLICATION FOR AOS."

No Title

I think port officer should not give you a new date for your H1 since you still have valid H1. My question for you is why are you so worrying the expiration of your H1. Weather expiration or not you are not out of status so just wait to get your 485 approved and you can do ahatever you want. If you want go abroad before approval get an AP.

billy boy,

I cannot answer your question. I come from an European country, my wife is Canadian, and we lived in Canada before I got my H1B almost four years ago and we moved to California.
As I do not know the details, I cannot give any advice. You should really seek advice from an immigration lawyer that you trust. These rules are so screwed up that you cannot trust even an INS officer. You need to get an answer from several sources and make up your mind about what is right, and take a risk sometimes...

deferred inspection

Ahmed/Any one,

I am in a similar situation -with two I-94s
the one issued earlier (with H1) valid till 2003 and the one issued
later (on June 17,2001) at POE Newark,NJ expired on Sept 14,2001.

I am confused since some say I am in status and others say I am out of
status. I\'d be grateful if somene can provide some more info.

thanks,
u_me

Re: I-94 expiration

[Hi, Ahmed Hossain1, just wonder, what have you done with your I-94 expiration? Have you got any suggestion from a lawyer?

I have encountered the same problem and haven't figured out the way to correct it since the local officer sent me away when I went to ask for a new I-94 almost two years ago. Now the INS thinks that it was illegal and the local officer sitll tells me that it is not. In my case, it is a critical problem at the time of I-485 processing. Please update with your I-94 card issue.

Thanks

QUOTE]Originally posted by Ahmed Hossain1
But my new I-94 has the later date. If I don\'t go out USA then will I become out status after the new I-94 expired( which is Oct 22nd 2001) [/QUOTE]