I-94 stamped at POE

hatari999

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone-

I got back from England recently and had no problems at the POE travelling with a RTD. I did however have a question about the date that was stamped on the I-94. My original I-94 was stamped with the asylum granted stamp and dated October 22 2002. When I was told to go to the secondary inspection room at the POE to get the new I-94 stamped, the officer informed me that since I had left the country, my 1 year time period to apply for a green card will start all over again from day one. He stamped my new I-94 with an asylum granted stamp and dated it August 11 2003. Does this mean I will have to wait until next August to apply for permanent residency or can I still apply this November (October 22 2002 + the 10 days I was out of the country). I was under the impression that the latter part was true. Please help me clear this up. Thanks.

ps CChong-Glad to see that you made it back okay. We were in the same predicament. Did you enjoy the heat?

You can apply one year after you were granted Asylum. What is ur confusion? Every time you enter the country, you will be issued a New I-94 card. once you apply for ur green card..you will get a receipt, Y our processing time starts from there. End of story. Thats it.

in my Humble opinion, i think you have to wait until August 2004. I remember my lawyer warned me not to travel if i wanted to file for my I-485 in a year otherwise i will have to wait a year from the day of re-entry.

Originally posted by Gilbert
My understanding is that you can aggregate the time so that you apply this November.

Gilbert (or someone else how knows), could you please point to some document saying that it is enough to accumulate one year, even if it is not one continuous year.
The previous messages stating that is has to be one continuous year have definitely brought up something I didn't know about.
Thanks in advance.

hatari999,

Sorry I don't know the answer in regards to you I-94 stamp question.

It was very hot while I was in London, but the humidity level was not as bad as New York so I could handle it more easily. Of course, I did drink a lot of water. Water costs fortune in London. I could not believe that a bottle of water cost 3-4 GBP at a restraurant. Overall, I did have a great time in London regardless of the heat. I will definately go back to visit again.

hI CCHONG,

What kind of stamp you got after you reenter USA on your passport. Is it saying you have to take permission from BCIS next time you leave this country.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I will share my experience regarding the one year thing after some body is granted Assylum. My assylum approval was in 08/97. I applied for my first RTD and travelled to England in 12/97 and stayed there for 35 days. Then I travelled to Canada in 03/98 and stayed for three weeks. I then travelled to Germany in 07/98 and stayed there for 2 weeks. I travelled back to Canada in 09/98 and stayed there for 10 days. Every time I arrive at a port of entry, I get a new I-94 which is valid for one year. In 12/98 I applied for adjustment of status (I485). I got approved in 06/03. So my advice to you (hatari999) is don't bother yourself by what the officer tells you at the port of entry. Just apply for GC as soon as you become eligable(1 year from assylum approval).