I-94 questions

lz

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Got a serious problem with my I-94 card: I went to Toronto, CA to have a visa stamp on my passport. The immigration officer took my old I-94 card (the white one with "F-1" marked on it) and I didn\'t get a new I-94 when I reenter U.S. Now I am wondering if they\'ll allow me to leave this country for my vacation scheduled 12/12/2001, although I do have the I-94 attached to my I-797 form (H-1B approval notice). Has anyone ever met similar situation? Appreciate your help.

lz

Don\'t worry u r fine

Hi,

What i could gather from your posting is that you had gone to Canada to get a multiple entry stamp. your white I-94 that you had in your passport is no longer valid since your status has changed from F1 to H-1B and the I-94 that you should worry abt now is the green one that came with your approval notice. if you have that there should not be any problem (this is what my lawyer told me).
If you look at your green I-94 it shows the period for which it is valid. So this is the I-94 you need.
I will be going to Toronto on 19 Dec for my multiple entry stamp. would appreciate if you could share your experience and the questions that you were asked.

Thanks
Satyajit

Thanks

Thank you for your help.

My concern was raised because all of my friends who had gone to Canada got to keep their white I-94, when they leave U.S., they submitted the white one and kept the green one. I wonder if I should submit the green one as required when I leave U.S., but that way I won\'t have one for my record. Does that sound right?

As for the visa issuance, there is nothing to worry about. I hardly remember that the immigration officer asked me any specific questions, except those such as "When did you come to Canada, when you plan to go back to the U.S." etc. She was busy going through all my document very carefully, page by page. So my suggestions are:
- bring everything that they required;
- place your document in good order; and
- make sure you have a passport valid at least 6 months from Dec. 19, 2001.

Good luck!
lz

No Title

The left part of your H-1B approval tells the validity of your I-94. So, even if you surrender your I-94 when you leave the country u will get a new one when you re-enter.

Satyajit

u r fine. I had the same issue but its not a problem.

your 797 (approval notice) has 2 I-94 attached to the bottom of the form. the left part is for your personal records and the right part is which you submit.

it is very common to not get an I-94 while coming back from Toronto/Niagara Falls side. Normally they dont even ask for your I-94 when you cross the US border via road, but if they ask for it you have to submit it. Since you have an I-94 attached at the bottom of your form, you will submit this at the airport and when you come back from your vacation you will be issued a new white I-94 card.

dont worry, even i was worried when i faced it, but I spoke to an immigration officer at the border and he explained me that everything was fine.

thanks

Slightly different scenario

In my case, I believe the right side portion on I-767 was submitted when I left US, and when I returned back was issued a green one with stamp of when I entered. (almost a year ago).
Unfortunately in my case I seem to have misplaced it, most probably while making copies some time during the past year.
Spoke with my company lawyer and they advised me to file a I-102 form which is basically an application for Replacement of Lost I-94.
Sent this application last week and was told there is no guarantee when the application would be processed.
Anyone else with the same scenario??

H1B transfer came with out I-94# on I-94 card

Hi Guys,

My H1B transfer came without I-94# on right bottom protion of approval notice. Would it create any problem.
Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Thanks