I-94 Question....Help!

srini123

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Please voice your opinion on this one...

\'A\' is having a valid H1 visa until March 20th, 2001. \'A\' got a
H1B extension until April 25th, 2002...if \'A\' entered the country in Jan 2001, at the Port of Entry, \'A\' was given a I-94 with an expiration date of March 20th, 2001 (even after \'A\' showed the H1B extension approval which
has an expiration date of April 25th, 2002)...

1) Is the officer at the port of entry correct in stamping the I-94
with an expiration date of March 20th, 2001 despite being shown a
H1B extension until April 25th, 2002?

2) Is \'A\' out of status since March 21st, 2001?

Please let me know what you think....

Srini

No Title

I had the similar situation, in my case he did stamp till the extended H1 dates.

I\'m not sure how to proceed, did U talk to your lawyer?

Good Luck

No Title

I had the same experience. I have to go to INS office to extend the I-94. The INS officer (@ INS Office) asked to explain what happened at port of entry. I told the same what you did. The INS office asked me if I reminded the officer at the port of entry, about the mistake. I said no. Then he said it\'s my mistake. I apologized for it and immediately he re-validated the green I-94 with the extended date and new I-94 #.

No Title

Hi sskumar72,

Which INS office did you go to? also, did you have to fill out
any form(s) at the INS office?

Any info would be highly appreciated...

Thank you,
Srini

No Title

Hi aam040,

Lawyer wasn\'t of much help (actually this is for a friend of mine)...will suggest my friend to follow the path of sskumar72, and see what happens....

Thanks much,
Srini

No Title

Your new H1B extension approval notice should come with an I-94 piece attached to it !!! That should have the same serial# as it was on your old I-94 and except exipry date will be extended upto new H1B\'s validity period.

No Title

The procedure is to fill in some form and submit to some office with some $$$ amount as a fee. In my case I went to Arlington office and the officer was very courteous and he fixed it right away so that there was ne need for me do follow any formalities.

In regards to ss72us\'s suggestion, the officer striked out the number in the green I94 card and wrote a new number. I believe it should be from the white I94 piece which was given at the port of entry