I-94 not taken at Boston AirPort while departing

bkhote

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My wife left for India last week and while entering at customs check, they did not take I-94 even after I asked them.
Don't we have to surrender I-94 when we fly?
Has anything changed ( they take old and give new one when we re-enter ??).

Thanks
BK

The ppl who issue boarding passes r the ones that take away this I94...and if they miss it, it is better we point it and hand over it...!! But nothing much to worry about

bkhote,

It had happened to me once (I think 2000) while flying out to India.

Once you have the card with you and you are in the flight, there is no-one you can return it to(Tried at stopovers but did not help).

I had just left it in my passport and when doing immigration check while returning, the officer just took it out and kept it and stamped the new one and gave it to me. No questions asked.
In case they ask, I guess you can always say what happened.
I had also asked our attorney while in India and they had also said it is no big deal..
Only thing is it was before sept11..

Thanks..

On the chennai US consulate website it says, it is our responsibility to make sure that we hand over I94, so that they have all travel dates into and outside of the USA in their system.
It is not airlines responsibility.

Originally posted by z/OS V1.4
On the chennai US consulate website it says, it is our responsibility to make sure that we hand over I94, so that they have all travel dates into and outside of the USA in their system.
It is not airlines responsibility.

CORRECT.

Hi Folks,

As usual, I check in occasionally since obtaining GC 15 months ago. (Still with the same employer!) I guess the current members may not even heard of me :D

Here's my scoop on the I-94 issue:

It is our responsibility to hand in the I-94 at the Airline Counter. If not, there could be problems @ POE.

If forgot to turn it in, I guess visiting the nearby INS office and explaining the error with supporting docs should help.

Good Luck!

I think the issue at hand now is what to do if you did not give your I-94 while leaving the country.

The fact that we should give etc-etc is really immaterial now once you are outside. I-94 clearly says that there could be problems while entering if this was not submitted so no new thing there either.

Some time back, it did not used to be such a big deal if you forgot as per my experience then and the conversation I had with my attorney. Maybe it is the same now. If so, nothing to worry.

If there is someone who had a recent experience with forgetting to return I-94 while travelling out, it would help.

Also I would recommend to get in touch with your attorney and see what they suggest.
Not sure if contacting your local INS office by you would help. Obviously your wife can not without entering in (unless local consulate helps which I doubt).

I would say, remove the I94 yourself if not taken. No one knows, and probably no one cares. I dont think the officers at POE know if you have returned your I-94 or not.

Another Dude,

that is wrong advice. DONT ever try that out. I went to India in Nov this yr from SFO and my I94 also was not taken out. When I returned to the county and since I was going to be on AP I had to go to secondard INS inspection where i told them and they just took my old I94 and stamped the new one.

While I was there a guy who had left the US in 97 was being questioned since his I94 was not taken when he left in 97. they let him go but they have a track of everytime u enter and leave the country.

never do it

Never do it yourself. It is better to admit honest mistake rather than be sorry for any mischief.
They keep every record of it
Thanks

When I recently (in Sept) traveled outside the US, I didn't surrender the I-94. Upon return, I gave the old one to the officer at the POE, and he took it without asking any question.