I-94 Expires

maheshwar

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My daughter’s I-94 expires on Feb 12 2007. But, she is having valid visa till Dec 2007 and Passport valid till Nov 2009. I don't know why she got her I-94 like this.

Anyway, do I have to apply for her I-94 extension? Or it is not required as we already applied for I-485. Please suggest me.

I browsed through some forums where some suggest it is not required as I already applied for I-485 and again in some places some say I have to apply for her extension at least 45 days earlier than the expire date.

Please suggest me what to do?

Thanks

Maheshwar

maheshwar said:
Anyway, do I have to apply for her I-94 extension? Or it is not required as we already applied for I-485.

Since she has a pending I-485, she remains in valid status until it is approved or denied. She will require AP to be readmitted to the United States should she leave.

You don't have to worry since you have already filed the I-485. She is allowed to stay during the process. The I-94 extension was supposed to be filed 45 days prior to it expiring. This is a common error for immigrants. The I-94 determines how long immigrant can stay but like I say you don't have to worry about it since you have filed. Make sure in the future that she/you check about filing requirement so that you won't run the risk of penalties. Godspeed :)

Overstays of 180 days are subject to 3 yr ban.

She should not leave the country until process is complete or AP is approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
NeShawn said:
The I-94 extension was supposed to be filed 45 days prior to it expiring. This is a common error for immigrants.

There is no such 45 day requirement. It merely needs to be filed and received by USCIS before the existing I-94 expires.