I-94 card submission

josh2006

Registered Users (C)
The I-94 attached to my passport has expired. I am currently working using my transferred H1-B - that is I-797A. When I exit the US, should we surrender the I-94 attached to the I-797 also along with the I-94 attached to my passport?

Thanks

josh2006 said:
The I-94 attached to my passport has expired. I am currently working using my transferred H1-B - that is I-797A. When I exit the US, should we surrender the I-94 attached to the I-797 also along with the I-94 attached to my passport?

Thanks
------------ you need to surrender ALL the I-94, staple both the I-94 and give at Airline counter.

** keep the copy of both I-94 (front and back )for your futrue records in your immigration file at home)

Multiple I-94's

Ginnu,

Why to return all I-94's ? I mean, all I-94's will come with same number, when they scan one it will record in Immigration that the person left the country..

Any reason to return all? when I left country last time with four I-94's , airline peronal taken only one and ask me to keep rest for my records.. Will this case any issue in future?

ChinnaKmm said:
Ginnu,

Why to return all I-94's ?
------------- one needs to surrender All I-94. for more info ask you lawyer
I mean, all I-94's will come with same number,
--------- not everybody has same number, some time lawyer writes earlier I-94# by mistake and USCIS approves the H1 extension with that # (nothing wrong with that one only need to have Valid I-94 to maintain status) I have seen that happen.
when they scan one it will record in Immigration that the person left the country..
------------ you give the I-94 to Airline and Airline dont scan the I-94. all the I-94 go to USCIS from airline counters and then data is entred in USCIS records. how this is done you need to ask your lawyer or do the research
Any reason to return all? when I left country last time with four I-94's , airline peronal taken only one and ask me to keep rest for my records.. Will this case any issue in future?
------------- if the airline counter taken the latest I-94 that seem to be OK.

here is info from Muthy law office:
Always Keep a Copy of Your I-94 Cards
Keeping records pertaining to one's immigration status is very important. The I-94 card can be vital in establishing a history of lawful presence in the United States. It is our suggestion, therefore, that one retain a copy of this important document before handing it over to the airline agent when traveling abroad

What is the I-94 Card?
The I-94 card is the little card, often white in color (possibly green for Visa Waiver applicants), that is often completed during one's international flight and given to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector at the airport upon one's arrival in the U.S. The CBP agent stamps the legal status and its validity, and then returns it to the individual, usually stapled in the passport. This document determines how long one is legally allowed to live in the U.S. and, depending on the status stamped, whether or not s/he is allowed to work in the U.S.

RFEs Often Request Prior I-94 Cards

It is common in the I-485 (Adjustment of Status) context to receive Requests for Evidence, asking for proof of the person's lawful maintenance of status. The I-94 card is, in most instances, the appropriate document. In cases where that document has been relinquished during travel, and no copy is available, complications can arise. We advise, therefore, that our readers retain copies of all I-94s received and keep them in a safe location. There are other contexts in which prior I-94s can be vital; when filing applications for extending or changing status, for example.

Copyright © 2006, MURTHY LAW FIRM