I-94 After getting GC

Hello All,

I again called my attorney and checked on this aspect as I am taking an international flight in less than 24 hours. Here is what I got.

The purpose of the I-94 is only to show that you did depart the U.S. within the time allowed. In the case of Green Card holders, there is no pre-set time allowed for the stay. So there is no need to prove that you did leave the country within a specific timeframe.

Also in response to the question of what happens if one submits the I-94 prior to departing, she told me "nothing will happen". If your I-94 validity date is later than the date on which you are leaving, a record will be made that you exited on the date of your travel. If your I-94 has already expired when you leave, submitting the I-94 will update your records as an "overstay". However, this according to the attorney is not an issue as this can be easily resolved by showing your Green card, which has the GC issue date on it.

The only flip side to this is that since your records will indicate an overstay, you might be questioned a bit more when you re-enter depending on whether you end up with an inexperienced IO.

So bottomline is that it really does not matter, whether you submit or not as long as you have your GC with you that states that your stay in the country is legal.

What your attorney said made complete sense, and you explained it very well. Also the I-94 form specifically stated that green card holders not to fill it out. So the next time you leave the US you don't even have an I-94 to turn in. So there is no need to worry about USCIS tracking your arrival/departure records with I-94, because you are PR now.

However, there are plenty of examples of either way being completely fine, or having minor problems. They are coincidence more than anything.

Hello All,

I again called my attorney and checked on this aspect as I am taking an international flight in less than 24 hours. Here is what I got.

The purpose of the I-94 is only to show that you did depart the U.S. within the time allowed. In the case of Green Card holders, there is no pre-set time allowed for the stay. So there is no need to prove that you did leave the country within a specific timeframe.

Also in response to the question of what happens if one submits the I-94 prior to departing, she told me "nothing will happen". If your I-94 validity date is later than the date on which you are leaving, a record will be made that you exited on the date of your travel. If your I-94 has already expired when you leave, submitting the I-94 will update your records as an "overstay". However, this according to the attorney is not an issue as this can be easily resolved by showing your Green card, which has the GC issue date on it.

The only flip side to this is that since your records will indicate an overstay, you might be questioned a bit more when you re-enter depending on whether you end up with an inexperienced IO.

So bottomline is that it really does not matter, whether you submit or not as long as you have your GC with you that states that your stay in the country is legal.

Return I-94

My GC approved in June'2007. In july when I was going to India on vacation I returned I-94 at the airport. And I came back to USA in August .

My friend who got GC went to Canada for a visit, while he was entering back to USA, the officer at the check post, took off the I-94 from his passport and told him that my friend doesn't need it anymore.

So the moral is.... return the white I-94 card while you go out (by air) so that you are free of them. After that just the Green Card & Passport are enough to travel. Nomore I-94s.