I-94 After getting GC

S_Reddy

Registered Users (C)
After getting Green card do we need to return the I-94 at POE while leaving.
My attorney said its not required and asked me to keep as record.

Anyone has any thoughts ideas???

I dont agree. My attorney specificaly asked me to return all I-94 I had and I did. Why keep it for no reason if there is a slightest doubt of that ever creating a problem??

Make copies if you want to have a tidy record file.

ss2004:

On a totaly separate subject. Sorry S Reddy.

Could'nt help notice your signatures. You actualy got your GC within 3 months of filing I-485? wow! I got mine in 5 years. !!!

Sun

After getting Green card do we need to return the I-94 at POE while leaving.
My attorney said its not required and asked me to keep as record.

Anyone has any thoughts ideas???

My attorney specifically told me that the I-94 is irrelevant after the GC. Submitting your I-94 to the airlines while leaving the country could potentially signal an intent to revert to non immigrant status.

I will be leaving outside the US in about 3 days and will not return my I-94 since it is not required.

So you returned your I-94 while you left US at POE, i heard some body saying in this forum that after getting GC if you return I-94 while leaving will create unnecessary confusion.

I am not sure how it works.

Yes I returned both the white one and also the H1B that you get to the airline personnel. And I returned 2 weeks later without any question asked by the IO at all. I just presented my passport and GC

It does not matter I beleive. Either will not be a problem. But since I-94 is to be surrendered at the time of leaving US, I just beleive chosing that option is better.

And I find this funny your lawyer saying you can revert to non-immigrant status after getting GC.

Dont fret too much over this. Enjoy your vacation.

I just recently read in a different forum about a guy who was taken in a separate room at the airport and asked about the old I-94 he left attached to his passport. It did not cause him any real serious trouble in the end (though the "separate room" thing is always the last thing we want to experience), but the immigration officer who talked to him said AOS-GC holders were supposed to return old I-94(s) the first time they go out of the U.S. after the GC approval.

Funny thing is, that was not the guy's first travel out of the U.S. after the GC. He actually had been to Canada before that. And the IO didn't give a damn when he went to Canada. He never dreamed he would be questioned about the old I-94 in his second travel abroad. IOs are not consistent, whether they are at your local office, at TSC or at whatever airport.

(I also hear some people made an infopass appointment and returned I-94).

My plan now is to return all the old I-94s on my first travel, but I'll keep gathering info till then.

Yes I returned both the white one and also the H1B that you get to the airline personnel. And I returned 2 weeks later without any question asked by the IO at all. I just presented my passport and GC

It does not matter I beleive. Either will not be a problem. But since I-94 is to be surrendered at the time of leaving US, I just beleive chosing that option is better.

And I find this funny your lawyer saying you can revert to non-immigrant status after getting GC.

Dont fret too much over this. Enjoy your vacation.

My 2 cents..

I have asked my lawyer, as per them we must return the all/last I-94 at the time of leaving US after getting GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if we should or should NOT return at POE.

But when I went to get my PP stamped after the I-485 approval, the immigration officer took my I-94 pinned to my passport.

And I was told by my Colleague who have been there over the years, have told that I-94 needs to be returned at PP stamping.
I asked the immigration officer at local office at the time of stamping, if I need to return the AP's and EAD's, he said you can shred them or I can shred them for you, and he shred them infront of me.

My 2 cents..

I have asked my lawyer, as per them we must return the all/last I-94 at the time of leaving US after getting GC.
Since you will be filling new I-94 form again at POE.

GC holders are not required to fill an I-94 at POE since I-94 is used to indicate legal period of stay in the US. GC holders can stay in the US indefinitely.

GC holders are not required to fill an I-94 at POE since I-94 is used to indicate legal period of stay in the US. GC holders can stay in the US indefinitely.

Just for general info..

What forms we need to fill, if any, when arrive US from outside?

Any inputs..since soon I will be travelling, outside US first time after getting the GC..before hand knowledge will be helpful..
thanks in advance

Just entered US yesterday. The only form you need to fill out is the Customs Declaration Form. Cruise along in the red channel :)

ss2004:

On a totaly separate subject. Sorry S Reddy.

Could'nt help notice your signatures. You actualy got your GC within 3 months of filing I-485? wow! I got mine in 5 years. !!!

Sun

Well there are many who filed in June at TSC and few from NSC. You need to check the corresponding forum.

That's totally absurd.

You are right. It is absurd. However, there are a lot of absurd things at USCIS. Basically, the problem is the untold rule that a later document always overrides the earlier document. Since I-94 is supposed to be used only by non immigrants, submitting it back might be construed as an indication that the applicant is reverting back to non immigrant status.

Having said that, there are lots of people who have submitted I-94s prior to departure after getting their GC and there are lots of them who have not. Neither of these groups have had a problem re-entering the country.

Also, attorneys don't have a uniform opinion regarding this. Even Immigration Officers don't have a uniform opinion about this. I for one will be going on a vacation to India tomorrow and will not be handing over my I-94.