I-90 renewal advice--please help!

KIMBER0917

Registered Users (C)
Hello, my boyfriend and I are traveling to his country the philippines on 10/05 and we just realized that his green card expired in June. Yesterday he had an appt via the info pass and all they did was tell him to file. They did not give him any info or a temp card. We just e-filed but now I am finding out that it takes months to renew. Any advice on what to do? We called the 800 number and they claim that there is nothing you can do and you are not aloud to travel outside the US. I am in tears now b/c I just spend over $2000.00 on non refundable tickets. Any info would be very appreciated. :(

KIMBER0917 said:
We called the 800 number and they claim that there is nothing you can do and you are not aloud to travel outside the US. I am in tears now b/c I just spend over $2000.00 on non refundable tickets. Any info would be very appreciated. :(
Calling 800 number is pretty much useless. You get only stereo-typed responses. When you took an InfoPass appointment, why didn't you ask the USCIS staff to stamp your boyfriend's passport with a temporary I-551 visa so that he can travel in and out for one year? They usually issue the stamp when you lose the card or it's damaged, etc. Explain your situation and see whether they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
gin said:
Calling 800 number is pretty much useless. You get only stereo-typed responses. When you took an InfoPass appointment, why didn't you ask the USCIS staff to stamp your boyfriend's passport with a temporary I-551 visa so that he can travel in and out for one year? They usually issue the stamp when you lose the card or it's damaged, etc. Explain your situation and see whether they do it.

He did, but they said there is nothing they can do for him, he just has to wait :(

KIMBER0917 said:
He did, but they said there is nothing they can do for him, he just has to wait :(
If I were you, I would take an another appointment and try my luck with another officer. Some times, it depends on the mood of the officer too. Heck, you might lose about two hours of your day but it's worth a shot!

Also, I have heard then even though you return to US with an expired GC, the USCIS agents at the POE can let you in after they do some kind of investigation. Might have to spend couple of hours at the airport... Also, you have proof that you applied for extension. It's a long shot and you can research about that avenue as well. Talk to an attorney if you can.

thanks for the info. I am going to have him reschedule another appointment. Maybe this time if he goes with his confirmation receipt and copy of airline tickets maybe they can stamp his passport.

KIMBER0917 said:
thanks for the info. I am going to have him reschedule another appointment. Maybe this time if he goes with his confirmation receipt and copy of airline tickets maybe they can stamp his passport.
Just some more good news for you (take a printout of this while you go to the USCIS office):

How Do I Obtain Temporary Evidence of My Status For Travel or Employment Purposes, if Necessary, While the USCIS is Reviewing My Form I-90 Application?

At the time that you are completing the fingerprint and signature requirements (necessary for the adjudication of the Form I-90 and the issuance of the replacement card) at the appropriate USCIS office, you may request temporary evidence of your permanent resident status, valid for travel and/or employment purposes.

http://www.lakaymagazine.com/issues/200401/immigration.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/replace.htm

Last edited by a moderator: