I-9 Help – Going to work on EAD.

can_card

I am the first H1B and GC applicant in my company which is non-IT firm. My sixth year (theoretically 5.75 years) H1B is expiring in Feb 2006.Currently, my 485 is pending (due to retrogression) and 140 were approved long time ago. I have a valid EAD. I am thinking to start working in EAD instead of filing H1B extension. Am I taking any risk in giving up H1B?

If I decide EAD route, am I required to submit new I-9 form and copy of my EAD card to my HR manager? Am I required to do every year this process (Submitting new I-9 form and copy of EAD)? My HR manager may not aware all the USCIS rules and she might get confused.

When I go thro I-9 form, instead of submitting EAD card other options are I can submit copy of my driver license and Social security card. Can I submit these two documents instead of EAD? Has any one done this before?

Thanks

Just submit I-9 Form once and keep extending EAD every year. I-9 form is to tell your company that you are working on EAD from now on.

can_card said:
I am the first H1B and GC applicant in my company which is non-IT firm. My sixth year (theoretically 5.75 years) H1B is expiring in Feb 2006.Currently, my 485 is pending (due to retrogression) and 140 were approved long time ago. I have a valid EAD. I am thinking to start working in EAD instead of filing H1B extension. Am I taking any risk in giving up H1B?
With pending 485 you will get three year H1 extension, while EAD has to be renewed each year. If empolyer pays for H1 by all means apply H1. EAD has to be approved before the previous one expires -effectively only getting 9-11 months extension; with H1 you need only apply for extension before the current one expires.

Last edited by a moderator: