I-864A tax return for married filed jointly

Yoopersnowman

I-864A asks for individual annual income and the most recent year tax return. There is a line for my current individual annual income, but my tax returns are filed as married filing jointly, i.e., our income is combined. Does my spouse need to fill out I-864A as well and then submit one copy of the joint tax return? Anyone have experience like this. Thanks very much.

Please describe the situation and context -- who is sponsoring who (i.e. who is the US citizen or LPR that filed the I-130), and why is I-864A necessary (or why do you think it is necessary)? You are sponsoring a parent and you want your husband to be a joint sponsor? Or vice versa? Or your husband is sponsoring you?

You mentioned I-864A; but who is filing the I-864? I-864A cannot be filed without I-864.

My son (US citizen) is sponsoring his wife (Brazil citizen) who in the US on a student visa but she will not be continuing with school as she is expecting a baby in Feb. He is filling out the I-684 as the sponsor. As his parent, I am filling out I-864A as a household member to assist with financial support in exceeding the poverty guidelines. My wife and I filed our taxes jointly and I'm a bit confused on how to handle this on the form. Thanks for asking for more info. I appreciate your help.

Notice that there are separate questions for your individual income and for your income as reported on the tax returns.

You filed a joint return, so list the joint income amount where it asks about the tax returns, but write your own separate income where it asks about your individual income.

Since you filed taxes jointly you will have to submit the joint tax return (or preferably the tax transcript from the IRS), but your spouse doesn't have to sign the I-864A or fill out another one herself, unless your individual income is insufficient.

P.S.
I misread your username as "Yooperswoman", that's why I incorrectly mentioned "your husband" in my previous message.

Last edited by a moderator:
I-864A for Joint tax return

I am the petitioner and my husband is the sponsor, who will file i-864. my husband included me on section 24 for annual income contribution. since it said on the instruction "If you included the income of your spouse listed in 21c, or any child listed in 21d, or any dependent listed in 21e, or any other relative listed in 21g, each one of these individuals must be over 18 years of age and must complete Form I-864A." will i have to fill out i-864a. When we did our tax return we filled joint. Will i have to put the same information about tax returns or not?

Notice that there are separate questions for your individual income and for your income as reported on the tax returns.

You filed a joint return, so list the joint income amount where it asks about the tax returns, but write your own separate income where it asks about your individual income.

Since you filed taxes jointly you will have to submit the joint tax return (or preferably the tax transcript from the IRS), but your spouse doesn't have to sign the I-864A or fill out another one herself, unless your individual income is insufficient.

P.S.
I misread your username as "Yooperswoman", that's why I incorrectly mentioned "your husband" in my previous message.

I-864A asks for individual annual income and the most recent year tax return. There is a line for my current individual annual income, but my tax returns are filed as married filing jointly, i.e., our income is combined. Our income is combined but my income alone is enough to sponsor my mother to USA. So, do I have to put current annual income and household income only my income or combined income from taxes? My husband have to feel I-864EZ or I need only feel I-864 form myself? Thanks