I-864 Questions

Ken27

Registered Users (C)
I am getting the paperwork ready. The instructions want 3 years taxes, but the new memo states that only one is needed. I would rather only send one year. Has anyone else sent one year of taxes, and did you get an RFE?

Half my income is from self-employment, and my job is based on commision. The form asked for salary or wage, but does not have anywhere for a commision. Should I just rely on my self-employment income, or apply using both incomes? I have enough to qualify on each one separately.

I have W-2, Check stubs for Self-Employment, Requested letter from employer

Do I provide a copy of my birth certificate, or the original (I have several)

Is there a way I can bypass all the taxes and income sections, and just qualify on my savings and home equity (I have more than sufficient)

This form is really making me nervous. I saw that many of you got an RFE recently. If I get an RFE, then I will be separated from my wife for 3 more months. I cannot risk that.

I also got one of those address change forms for my wife. I had my wife sign it and email it back to me, but it is not as clear a copy as the original. Does this matter? They said they accept a faxed copy, but the coding labels are not as clear, and probably cannot be scanned (If that is neccesary)

Thanks for your help

I have answers/suggestions to only three of your questions... more experienced people on the forum might be able to answer the others.

How many tax returns?
I filed I-864 for my spouse and used only the latest tax return. 2 months and no RFE, hopefully there won't be any.

Birth Certificate - original or copy?
Send copies of all documents, unless originals are asked for.

Can I qualify the min income requirement just on the basis of my savings and home equity?
The instructions in the I-864 say that if you have enough cash (or cash equivalent) you can use it to qualify the income requirement, however, I have recently read posts from two different users (one of them claimed that he had 25 times the requirement), who used only their savings and got an RFE. One of these persons (Suzy977) went up to the USCIS office to investigate why she got an RFE when she clearly qualifies based on her savings and she was told that it was most likely due to ignorance of the person handling the application. So - it's your call.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Thanks, that helps. I finally got the letter from my employer. I just need to double check and make sure everything is fine.

I have about a 10 page tax return, and I was told to send the form in order. Will the order that Turbo Tax prints it in, be fine?

Ken27 said:
Thanks, that helps. I finally got the letter from my employer. I just need to double check and make sure everything is fine.

I have about a 10 page tax return, and I was told to send the form in order. Will the order that Turbo Tax prints it in, be fine?

I believe turbo tax prints it in order (however, I used TaxCut for this year, and previous yrs were done using Turbo Tax).

I have learned 2 things about the I-864 from the March Memo.

1) Only need to provide the last year (2005) tax return.
2) Form does not need to be notarized anymore.

I see that there is a form that is included titled "Authorization for Federal Tax Data"
I see no mention of it in the documentation or instructions with this form. I know that this form has been sent with I-864 applications since at least the year 2000. I have a feeling that this form is not required, because of availability of the tax transcripts.

Anyone have any better updated information about this?

can you tell me where the march memo is?

i do not know if someone should go with the "memo" or go with the "instruction" from I-864.