I-864 for relative who is not in USA

Naaz2004

Registered Users (C)
I need to complete I-864 for my husband who is in India and not been in USA ever.

The extra instruction sheet that I got with I 864 is extremely confusing as it does ask tax and etc docs for the principal applicant/immigrant. I knew that supporting docs are needed only for me(The petitioner) but these papers I got clearly says something else. It has 4 parts that lists:

1. Petitioner Docs: taxes etc for petitioner

2. Joint Sponsor Docs if needed:

3. Household membbers income if needed:

4. Docs for principal immigrant /Applicant: and here it again says taxes and etc for immigrant.

Now what is different between part 1 and 4??????????????????? Why they have asked these for the immigrant?

Does he need to send his tax records and employment letter to me so that I submit it to NVC with I-864? :confused:

Also how and where I notarize it????

Affidavit of Support

It might be helpful for you to go to USCIS's site and under forms, look at the I-864, there is a How Do I File An Affidavit of Support For A Relative? section that will probably answer most of your questions.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm
I think you are the Petitioner for the Relative (your husband), so the Petitioner docs/taxes would be yours. Joint Sponsor Docs would be if your income is insufficient (this is on the aforementioned site under I-864 also) you would have to get a joint sponsor. Household Members Income if needed, this also relates to if you don't have sufficient income. As for Docs for Principal Applicant, I believe there is some provision whereby the income of the spouse can be considered but I think the spouse would have to be employed in the US and have been living with the Petitioning spouse for at least 6 months.
You can also find pretty good guides for filing and information on visa journey. Do a google for their site.
HTH :)