I-864 back off options

kamrans

Registered Users (C)
I-864 (affidavit of support) back off options

Hi there,
I filled out a affidavit of support I-864 for someone I barely know as he portrayed himself as very needy but I come to know he did immigration frauds in past. I want to get myself away from his mess.
He filed fiance visa for his fiance abroad and I filled out I-864 in May 2013. The case approved by USCIS and now forwarded to NVC.
What options do I have to back off from what I already signed. How can I talk to NVC or the consulate abroad to take out my I-864 from his petition. Someone told me that embassy will ask for update I-864 as its new year now. If thats the case then I am safe but I am not sure about it and want to make sure that I am safe.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What stage has their process reached? Are they married yet? Are they both inside the US yet? Has the I-485 been filed?

If using the fiancee visa, the I-864 would not be required until after they marry inside the US and the I-485 is submitted. It seems like his fiancee is outside the US now, with you mentioning the case being forwarded to NVC. Which probably means you really filed I-134, not I-864.

Hi Jackolantern,
Thanks for your response. What is know is case of fiance visa is filed and case approved by USCIS and now forwarded to NVC for further processing. Yes she is outside of USA as of now. No 485 has been filed. I filled out I-864 and I checked it twice. Is there a requirement of I-864 when I-130 is filed? How can I be sure that I am safe. Do I need to call USCIS and ask them for back off options?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The I-864 is either supposed to be filed along with the I-485, which would be after they have married and are inside the US, or after I-130 approval if the immigrant spouse is outside the US.

If they are pursuing the fiancee visa, there would be no I-130; instead there would be the I-129F. Then after I-129F approval and a successful interview at the consulate, the fiancee would enter the US, get married, and file I-485 along with I-864.

If you gave them an I-864 and you dated it as May last year, they should not have filed it yet without being married, and if they filed it without being married USCIS should ask for a new one.

If they are already married, they can't use the fiancee visa; they would have to go the I-130 route, which would involve filing I-864 after I-130 approval but before the interview.