I-824

ndantu

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys

anybody waiting for 824 approval can share their filing experience in this thread?

Thanks

VSC - I824

Hi Guys,
Just came across ur posts and I posted the below message. Can either of you tell me - do you know the approximate processing time for I-824 in VSC ??

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone share your FOLLOW-TO-JOIN experience from Vermont service center. Currently it looks like they are 1 year back log. Does the I-824 take sooner than that ?

I plan to get married next month, and want to file I-824. Need to prepare myself and my wife for the wait period.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: VSC - I824

Hi,

I applied for I-824 2002 March and am yet to hear from INS. When I filed it was supposed to take 60-90 days!

I would like to hear from people who got their approvals.

thanks
--harapatra

Re: question to you folks

Originally posted by tru
How long does it take after you get the I-824 before you get the interview in the consular office. Any ideas?

I think it is 2-4 months.

To harapatha

are you sure its MARCH 2002 and not MAR 2003 ?? 1 year is way too long for 824 approval.

In the worst case it takes 9 months is what I hear !!

Dont scare me man!

Re: To harapatha

Originally posted by VASX6
are you sure its MARCH 2002 and not MAR 2003 ?? 1 year is way too long for 824 approval.

In the worst case it takes 9 months is what I hear !!

Dont scare me man!

Look at the processing dates posted somewhere on this site and you will find out. I guess the latest case in I-824 queue is 2-27-02 currently (for VSC).

--harapatra

1. On the recent most publication at Mumbai website, they no longer say that one is eligible to apply for Immigrant Visa under AC140 if you have had prior visa stamps from the consulate. Instead, they say that one has to be a resident from the eligible consular districts for that consulate. I am not sure if this is a change in the policy or if this is what they have been saying from the beginning although they accept applications based on just prior stamping.
2. Is it possible to send in all the required documents except 824 receipt and get a prilimnary determination whether or not they accept the case?

i-824 - self-filed or company-filed?

hello,

i have a pending 485, and i just received the approval for my 140. both are in CSC.

i would like to file for an AC-140 procedure at Mumbai instead, and i understand that the first step is to file an I-824 in CSC.

since the 140 was an application filed by my company, do they need to file the 824, with me listed as the beneficiary? the form's instructions are very confusing. or can i simply file the form myself, without my company's involvement?

part 1 states "information about the person that filed the original application or petition". that clearly is my company. but then they would need to file and sign this form, not me.

in part 3, they ask for "if the petition was filed for another person, give the following information about them", and it asks for name/dob/A#. it looks like my company would fill in my information here since i am the beneficiary of their 140 petition.

however, everyone seems to keep saying "file your 824". that confuses me, because the 824 is being filed to change something about a petition filed by my company (the 140 for which i was the beneficiary, but NOT the applicant), so intuitively, it seems to me that my company should be filing the 824.

could 2-3 people who have successfully filed the 824 and have successfully completed their AC-140 please clarify this matter once and for all for the benefit of the whole forum.

thanks!

I-824 approval is not required to the best of my knowledge. This is the information I have got from the immgriation based forums i have been surfing. Please verify with your attorneys. Recceipt date of I-824 is good enough, apprvoal not required.

I 824 processing delay in Vermont

Hi,

Has anyone checked her/his status lately? Now they are saying it takes between 150-999 days for the processing. AC140 is one option at this juncture and I would like to know how many people are taking this shortcut?

Can we do anything regarding tracking the 824 approvals? Does nyone know the reason for the delay (I know they are worse than our Indian govt. employees)?

thanks in advance
--harapatra

Re: I 824 processing delay in Vermont

Originally posted by harapatra
Hi,

Has anyone checked her/his status lately? Now they are saying it takes between 150-999 days for the processing. AC140 is one option at this juncture and I would like to know how many people are taking this shortcut?

Can we do anything regarding tracking the 824 approvals? Does nyone know the reason for the delay (I know they are worse than our Indian govt. employees)?

thanks in advance
--harapatra

Guys,

Good news to share - my AC140 as well as the 824 have been approved simultaneously. I think the issue with the 824 delay might have been my address change.

I had called the customer support center on Nov 4th and enquired about my case status. They said the time limit is 18 months (not 999 days as the web site suggests) and since my case was beyond that time-frame she suggested to generate a statu query regarding my case. I think that did it. I see that the 1824 got approved very next day.

When I called up the attorney's office I was told that the packet 3 also has arrived from Mumbai consulate! Earlier they had refused to take my case saying that the case does not fall under their jurisdiction. The attorney had to file it again reproducing a memo from the FAM (foreign affairs manual) that my case does belong there.

I have reasons to be happy but the only gripe is that a lot of time has been wasted ;)

Wish me luck guys
--harapatra

I filed (NSC) my I-824 on June 11, 2003 and waiting with my fingers crossed. I (my attorney) did send a AC140 petition to Chennai. Chennai refused saying they were too busy to process this kind of applications. As of last update (15-Oct) NSC process date was 19-May-2003. I am hoping that I-824 will be processed anytime soon.

Can someone help me here..
Once 824 is approved, what's next.

Regards

OSC1998

To harapatra

Where did you file your AC140 and to which consular district do you belong.

Is it that you belond to a consular district other than Mumbai and then Mumbai accepted your case for AC140

Regards

OSC19989

Re: 824

Originally posted by OSC1998
I filed (NSC) my I-824 on June 11, 2003 and waiting with my fingers crossed. I (my attorney) did send a AC140 petition to Chennai. Chennai refused saying they were too busy to process this kind of applications. As of last update (15-Oct) NSC process date was 19-May-2003. I am hoping that I-824 will be processed anytime soon.

Can someone help me here..
Once 824 is approved, what's next.

Regards

OSC1998

This means they are moving very fast. You are just a month behind. Vermont is really slow and they are still processing last year's cases.

Re: To harapatra

Originally posted by OSC1998
Where did you file your AC140 and to which consular district do you belong.

Is it that you belond to a consular district other than Mumbai and then Mumbai accepted your case for AC140

Regards

OSC19989

My permanent address in India is in Jamshedpur. This used to be part of Bihar months back but now it is part of Jharkhand. The Mumbai post's website displays Bihar as part of their jurisdiction but it does not mention Jharkhand. So, I think they may not directly accpet the cases from Jharkhand. When I saw Bihar there on the website I thought about the united Bihar and thus we mailed it there without much thinking. I also used to work in Bangalore before coming to US so, my H1 is stamped at Chennai. I am not sure what made them refuse it the first time - Jharkhand or Chennai?

But the foreign affair manual mentions Jharkhand as part of Calcutta jurisdiction and all Calcutta IV cases are to be handled by Mumbai post. The attorney had to prepare a covering letter justifying the post selection which I think worked.

Harapatra

Do you think I stand a chance if I send AC140 to Mumbai. My H1 was stamped in Chennai and belong to the Chennai district. Chennai has already refused my AC140 on grounds of workload

Thanks

My i-824 was filed at CSC in Feb03 and got approved in Aug03,nearly 6 months!I don't believe in INS Just in time report,for i-824 at CSC it still shows recipt number dated 6/4/02.But one thing will be worst exp,if your consulate is chennai and trying to file i-824 to switch from AOS to CP.Because you never know when i-824 will get approved!! and nor chennai does accept your AC-140.I am little lucky to get my I-824 approval quickly though my AC-140 was refused.