I-765 application

flyerbell

This may be of use to someone.I filed a number of petitions at the Buffalo office in January 2004:I-485,I-130,I-765,I-131,I-601.I had to apply for another I-765 earlier today because there was a problem with some of the petitions.The I-485 and the I-601 were both denied.I telephoned BCIS a few weeks ago inquiring what steps I should take,hoping I could get at least some information.I was transferred from one section to the next trying to find some answers.I finally found out that I would be required to appear before an Immigration judge in reference to the I-485 and I-601.My EAD was set to expire on Jan 21 of this year.I called the 1-800 number in hopes of getting help as to what I should do.I was again transferred from one department to the next and was finally able to speak with an Immigration officer.He told me that since my I-485 and I-601 was denied I was placed in a non active file and I was not eligible to renew or apply for a I-765 until I had a positive outcome with an immigration judge.I was also told at the 1-800 number(and through research from information placed on this website)that even if I was to apply for another I-765 that it could take up to 90 days for the application to be granted.
Last week I was able to speak to the actual person that was handling my file.I explained the situation to him and he told me that I should come to the Buffalo office and re-apply for another I-765.I did,and I was quite shocked of the outcome.Luckily enough I took the name of the person who was handling my file with me to BCIS.He had apparently worked as an Immigration officer and seemed to know the steps I should take.To make a long story short,I arrived at the Buffalo office at approx. 12:30 pm and within 45 minutes I left BCIS with a new EAD dated for another year.I had prepared myself for the worse so this was quite unexpected.The time line as to my petitions filed are the following.
I-485 filed January 21,2004
I-130 filed January 21,2004
I-131 filed January 21,2004
I-765 filed January 21,2004 expiration Jan 21,2004
Receipt in regards to I-485 received Feb 23,2004
Interview notice May 24,2004
I-601 filed May 24,2004
I-485 denied October 19,2004
I-601 denied October 19,2004
I-765 filed January 26 12:30 pm
I-765 granted January 26 1:15 pm
to date:no hearing date set

I was quite shocked by the speed in which I was able to get the I-765 once again after being told in all liklihood it would be refused.I believe that the person handling my file had a hand into the issuance of a new card.I guess the immigration gods smiled on me today.I hope this is of some sort of use to someone.Also if anyone knows an Immigration attorney in the Buffalo/Rochester ny area please let me know...good luck to all!

Nice story. Good for you.

I read if I were to file 765 EAD locally (my case is transferred), it can only be filed upto 30days prior to the current one expires.

Based on your experience, is it true?

I wish I could answer your question with some sort of intelligent answer but I can't.I relied heavily on my lawyer from my home country(Canada)As it turns out he was not such a great help even in the choosing of the proper petitions in which to file.To be quite honest with you I found that I was able to gather more information from this website and the BCIS website.What petitions did you originally file and from what country are you coming from?I'll try helping you find some answers.Good-luck

lyrix said:
Nice story. Good for you.

I read if I were to file 765 EAD locally (my case is transferred), it can only be filed upto 30days prior to the current one expires.

Based on your experience, is it true?
From my own experience, SFO is pretty fast in renewing your EAD/AP. Typically within 2 wks, 1 month should be OK.

Anyway, my own experience only. Use at ur own risk.