I-751 waiver (divorce) thread

From what I've seen on other boards, the timeframe for waivers appears to be the same as non-waiver cases filed at the same time. I don't have other specific examples that I remember. That one stuck out because it seemed highly unusual.

From what I've seen on other boards, the time frame for waivers appears to be the same as non-waiver cases filed at the same time. I don't have other specific examples that I remember. That one stuck out because it seemed highly unusual.

Yes you said it, that is a highly unusual and highly abnormal case. In your post you imply that its normal to have a waiver and a joint application in the same time line.

Most waivers result in an RFE or interview which eventually adds more time to the USCIS published standards for approval.

We would not have had this thread started by concern waiver applicants if most or all waivers were processed like joint applications, and completed in 3-6 months without RFE's or interviews, and sometimes both.

Hi,
I'm going to re-file I-751 alone since I got divorce. Do you think I should include a letter saying the reason for divorce? I don't know if a letter need to be simple.

Based on the RFE I just got, I would advise including a brief letter stating the basics facts and reason for marriage ending...

good news

Based on the RFE I just got, I would advise including a brief letter stating the basics facts and reason for marriage ending...

skinkasen,
What were you asked in your RFE? and when did you get it?

Getting an RFE is a good step, a step towards an approval in most cases from what I have seen on the board.

I think most people write up a brief description about the relationship breakup when filling in a waiver 751. It is maybe not required for a joint application but certainly helps in a waiver case.

I agree!

Hi,
I agree with khayyam. Once you get REF and send more evidence back to USCIS, you'll be approved I-751 soon...according to my reserch like khayyam. Shinkansen...you are almost there:)

Hi,
I agree with khayyam. Once you get REF and send more evidence back to USCIS, you'll be approved I-751 soon...according to my reserch like khayyam. Shinkansen...you are almost there:)

Yeah, this happens in most cases, although there are a few cases where an interview follows, thats very rare.

RFE's tend to go in a positive direction most of the time.

I was asked for:

More financial proof - credit card statements / joint auto loans etc. I'd already sent everything that I have.

Any info about therapy / counseling sessions - Didn't have any.

Personal statement about the relationship, marriage, and reasons for divorce.

I re-sent all the financial stuff in case they lost some of my original package. Explained why we didn't have any credit cards together or auto loans, and that we didn't have any therapy / marriage counseling. Then I wrote 2.5 pages of personal statement. Mailed it today, USCIS will have it on Monday.

Divorce

I-751

- Sent Feb 6, 2009
- Check cashed Feb 11, 2009
- NOA with one year extension received Feb 17, 2009

Oh boy! I guess the waiting begins!!!!:(

Hi I thought I'd post my expirience here after reading so many threads.
I got married in 2004 got my first GC in 2006, got divorced in feb of 2008 my GC was gonna expire in june of 2008. I contacted a lawyer about my situation and he told me that I had a 50% chance of being aproved which really stress me out. So I decided to talk to another lawyer.
I think is something that can be easily done by yourself, I basically prepared everything on my own, affidavits and etc... but I was already dealing with the stress of the divorce, so I chose to have a lawer represent me for my I-751. Here is my timeline

05/20/08- Package receive
05/23/08- NOA (extention received)
06/07/08- Bio app. scheduled
06/20/08- Bio done
09/24/08- card production ordered
09/28/09- Approval notice sent.

By the way my case was thru CA, and w/ my waiver papers I sent tons of evidence that my marriage was in good faith.

Great to see a successful report. I agree that you can prepare and send the I-751 yourself. It is easy when you have the evidence. I did everything myself and I saved a lot of money. The lawyers I consulted all wanted more than $1,500 which seemed ridiculous when I have to provide everything and all a lawyer does is put it in the envelope and mail it. Gosh!!! :mad: unbelievable!!!!!!!

Yes it is expensive, my lawyer charged 1.200 retaining fee plus 6 hrs of service and 220.00 an hour after i used the 6 , since I did most of it on my own I didn't go over 6 but keep in mind people THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR ANYTHING! AN EMAIL A PHONE CALL...WHATEVER THEY CAN!!! AN EMAIL CAN COST YOU 45.00!!!!But anyway as I said the divorce had already stressed me out more than anything and at least I had peace of mind...If I had to do it over I would definatly do it myself, make a neat packet send tons of evidence send affidavits, taxes, accounts, insurance,pictures, vacation itenararies etc.. whatever you can...make a cover letter listing the items( you can find templates on line) and send it!
good luck to all that are waiting!

I have to say that even I consider USCIS a very inneficient agency, most of the processes- if your case is straight forward- are in a DIY mode. No need of a lawyer and saving costs comparing with other countries that you MUST use a lawyer for burocracy processes. Nobody knows better your case than yourself!

What pisses me off even more is the fact that you can get the RFE even with a lawyer. A lawyer is no guarantee that you will get the green card faster. Moreover even at the interview, all a lawyer does is hold the folder with the evidence for you. He doesn't help at all.

Hi.
Just wanted to put my story on this post as well.
I got divorced in April of 2008 and filed for removal of conditional status (I-751) as soon as I received my divorce decree.

My case got transferred to Vermont in May 2008.

I received a 1 year extension letter in mail soon after my case was transferred.

I have been waiting since then for any approval notice or any request of evidence notice, but I have not received anything from USCIS. My case status online shows pending, and the timeline was recently updated to August 2008 cases. I am worried about my case and don't know what to do.

I filed all the paper work myself. I did not go with a lawyer. I submitted any and all paper work that I could find of my wife and myself together.

My extension is coming to expiration soon. What should I do next if I do not hear anything from USCIS by the end of this month? Will they send me another extension in the mail? Do I have to go thru InfoPass? I don't know much about InfoPass? Has anyone gone thru a similar situation, or is anyone at present in the same boat as I am? If you have any adivce or can share any experience I will highly appreciate it.

I am worried and can only pray that I receive my green card approval notice soon.

Thank you