I-751: poor fingerprints rejected by FBI

HudsonValley

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
just got back from my biometrics appoinment. While I was getting my fingerprints taken, the person doing this was saying that they looked like poor quiality to him and they will probably be rejected by FBI.
That means I was told the FBI wouldn't be able to run a background check on me. I will get a second notice to have fingerprints done again. If it fails again I will have to go to local police office to request a sort of clearance from them. Meanwhile my case is put on hold, taking into account it's VSC - that's the last thing I want to happen to me.
The way the fingerprints process went - I have a feeling that to some extent it was done intentionally.
So I was wandering when should I expect to hear from them whether my fingerprints are good enough for FBI check or I need to have them done again?
If I have to do them again can I change the ASC, if so then how?
Thanks fin advance or your input.

This baffles me. If the guy who took your fingerprints thought they weren't of good enough quality, why didn't he just take them again? How can you be responsible for the quality of your fingerprints?

Unless you've done something to damage your fingers (like in the bank robber films where people burn their fingertips off) there's not much sense to this. Can you tell us what gave you the feeling it was done intentionally?

Uhmm if the guy came out saying that, he should know (the one who took your fingerprints) that your fingerprints should be taken manually (ink). Did you check out with another person over there before you leave?

I don't think you can change the ASC unless you move but I am not sure. The ASC is assigned by your address and normally there is only one per state except California or other bigger states that is what I can assumed. Where you at?

By the way your post states that your fp were rejected...they haven't...that was a comment from the person who should guarantee that the quality of the scan was with enough % of acceptance. As far as all we know...you won't know IF they are going to be rejected due to poor quality of the scan until further notice. If that happens...then there is a procedure for it, you won't get denied just because of that, you went for biometrics which is different as not showed up.If you get another biometric appointment, then you go to the next one. Nobody could know, they will let you know if another biometric scan is needed from you. About delays with VSC...ouff so many of us in that nightmare!...there are months ahead of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people (around 5%) have extremely shallow fingerprints that cannot be recorded clearly. The FBI may reject these prints because of the poor quality.

My fingerprints were rejected twice by the FBI for my I-485 case; I had to obtain police certificates to submit to the USCIS. Still My I-485 just took around 10 months from initial application to final approval.

Two year later, however, my I-751 fingerprints were accepted in my first attempt. I just received my "permanent" green card without incidence a couple weeks ago.

The technologist who took you fingerprints generally doesn't know for certain whether the FBI will reject the prints or not. S/he simply knows that the prints were weak and MAY be rejected by the FBI.

Just relax and wait for the process to play out. Your fingerprints will either be accepted, or you will receive a second fingerprint notice. After the second failure, you may need to obtain police clearances for all places you have resided in the last 5 years. This doesn't mean that they are suspicious about you; it simply means that the USCIS cannot check your criminal history the usual way (i.e. FBI) and needs help from your local police instead. Either way, it's not a big problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if there is a permanent blister or scar on one finger?
Is it required to have evidence from hospital for that it's permanent?

Thanks

What if there is a permanent blister or scar on one finger?
Is it required to have evidence from hospital for that it's permanent?

Thanks

I have a permanent scar on one of my thumbs, pretty small but runs across 4 lines of the fingerprint design and they accepted it fine... it is not easily visible but it sure makes a "peculiar" print, so, I think you are worry too much. It would be different if you just had an accident 1 day before the FP.

You have to take in consideration the condition of your fingers. I have a friend that had eczema and he has very bad fingerprint.

This baffles me. If the guy who took your fingerprints thought they weren't of good enough quality, why didn't he just take them again? How can you be responsible for the quality of your fingerprints?

Unless you've done something to damage your fingers (like in the bank robber films where people burn their fingertips off) there's not much sense to this. Can you tell us what gave you the feeling it was done intentionally?

To make a long story short:

I know how sensitive those fingerprints are. Skin on on my fingers is perfectly fine, there is no scars, scratches, diseases etc. Before my prints were taken I even went to wash my hands with soap.

My prints were takes before at USA Embassy in my home country, at US port of entries etc and there has never been a problem with it, everything was just fine.

The guy that was taking my prints said they were bad right away. When your prints are taken you stand in front of the screen and see your fingerprints.

Technician has an option to accept the scanned image or to discard it.
In my case, when the image was more or less good, he would discard it and save the worse one. At least it seemed that way.

Also, he had a cloth that he wet with special substance (cleaning alcohol i guess), the scanning screen was wet, so were my fingers. I told him that when the fingers are wet, the image comes out worse. He should have known it himself though.

After the procedure was done, I asked if we could redo it since the quality wasn't very good. The technician said he can perform the scan only once. If the prints are not accpeted by FBI I will be notified and will have to come there to have them done again.

Needless to say I don't want to waste my time with the same people because it's very likely the outcome will be the same. It's not my fault those people can't do their job right or their equipment isn't good enough.

The last thing I want is to fail for the second time and then go to collect clearance papers from the police from the places I lived during last five years. That would be a nightmare.

Uhmm if the guy came out saying that, he should know (the one who took your fingerprints) that your fingerprints should be taken manually (ink). Did you check out with another person over there before you leave?

I don't think you can change the ASC unless you move but I am not sure. The ASC is assigned by your address and normally there is only one per state except California or other bigger states that is what I can assumed. Where you at?

By the way your post states that your fp were rejected...they haven't...that was a comment from the person who should guarantee that the quality of the scan was with enough % of acceptance. As far as all we know...you won't know IF they are going to be rejected due to poor quality of the scan until further notice. If that happens...then there is a procedure for it, you won't get denied just because of that, you went for biometrics which is different as not showed up.If you get another biometric appointment, then you go to the next one. Nobody could know, they will let you know if another biometric scan is needed from you. About delays with VSC...ouff so many of us in that nightmare!...there are months ahead of you.

Nobody bothered to suggest to have my prints taken in ink as alternative. I guess the fee of 80$ isn't high enough to cover such an effort.

I was told there it's a common practice that prints are bad and are rejected. I'm shocked by their attitude though.

I'm in New York, to there is plenty of ASC, although I don't think it would be easy to get tranfered (if necessary, I hope not :)) to a different one.

I'm not concerned I will be denied because of poor quality. I'm concerned I'll have to do the prints again, especially at the same place and they will be rejected for the second time and then nightmare begins...

Besides, this being VSC, I don't expect to hear from those people sooner than a year from now.

Some people (around 5%) have extremely shallow fingerprints that cannot be recorded clearly. The FBI may reject these prints because of the poor quality.

My fingerprints were rejected twice by the FBI for my I-485 case; I had to obtain police certificates to submit to the USCIS. Still My I-485 just took around 10 months from initial application to final approval.

Two year later, however, my I-751 fingerprints were accepted in my first attempt. I just received my "permanent" green card without incidence a couple weeks ago.

The technologist who took you fingerprints generally doesn't know for certain whether the FBI will reject the prints or not. S/he simply knows that the prints were weak and MAY be rejected by the FBI.

Just relax and wait for the process to play out. Your fingerprints will either be accepted, or you will receive a second fingerprint notice. After the second failure, you may need to obtain police clearances for all places you have resided in the last 5 years. This doesn't mean that they are suspicious about you; it simply means that the USCIS cannot check your criminal history the usual way (i.e. FBI) and needs help from your local police instead. Either way, it's not a big problem.

Hi there,

the point is I've never had a problem with fingerprints before. I doubt I've done something to my fingers recently to damage them so badly. :) I just think that the guy didn't do his job right. And the bad thing you can't do anything about it.

I consider getting police clearance a problem. Why should I go through this aggravation, waste of more money and time just because of somebody's else fault?

Maybe they should be charging 800$ instead of 80$ to get better equipment and competent people to do biometrics.

Fingerprint poor quality

Hi,
I would like to share with anyone who have problem with fingerprint
poor quality. I have had had the same problem. My fingerprint did not pass for the first time. The second time was OK. The problem that makes fingerprints poor quality are : dry fingers , chemical, your age , touching something that can rub your hand and skin off little by little without notice.
Anyone may follow what I did to myself. Put moisture cream on my hands and fingers as often as you can. I use bag balm. After I wash the dishes I put bag balm to soften my hands. At night put the cream on your hands and put gloves or socks after that. Avoid working on something that may rub your skin. I stopped working working in the garden for a while. Sand makes my skin rough. Keep doing this until your appointment date. It will help.
In fact, it is not their false that your finger print came out poor quality. When you work hard and have dry hands the fingerprints faded.
If the second time do not past. You will wait for the third letter and then you may choose to go to local police and have the police clearance letter which will take sometimes to get it. Please try with Bag Balm first. It works for me.
This is what I would like to share with someone who have this problem.

just got back from my biometrics appoinment. While I wagetting my fingerprints taken, the person doing this was saying that they looked like poor quiality to him and they will probably be rejected by FBI.
That means I was told the FBI wouldn't be able to run a background check on me. I will get a second notice to have fingerprints done again. If it fails again I will have to go to local police office to request a sort of clearance from them. Meanwhile my case is put on hold, taking into account it's VSC - that's the last thing I want to happen to me.
The way the fingerprints process went - I have a feeling that to some extent it was done intentionally.
So I was wandering when should I expect to hear from them whether my fingerprints are good enough for FBI check or I need to have them done again?
If I have to do them again can I change the ASC, if so then how?
Thanks fin advance or your input.[/QUOTE]

hi,
i would like to share with anyone who have problem with fingerprint
poor quality. I have had had the same problem. My fingerprint did not pass for the first time. The second time was ok. The problem that makes fingerprints poor quality are : Dry fingers , chemical, your age , touching something that can rub your hand and skin off little by little without notice.
Anyone may follow what i did to myself. Put moisture cream on my hands and fingers as often as you can. I use bag balm. After i wash the dishes i put bag balm to soften my hands. At night put the cream on your hands and put gloves or socks after that. Avoid working on something that may rub your skin. I stopped working working in the garden for a while. Sand makes my skin rough. Keep doing this until your appointment date. It will help.
In fact, it is not their false that your finger print came out poor quality. When you work hard and have dry hands the fingerprints faded.
If the second time do not past. You will wait for the third letter and then you may choose to go to local police and have the police clearance letter which will take sometimes to get it. Please try with bag balm first. It works for me.
This is what i would like to share with someone who have this problem.

Just got back from my biometrics appoinment. While i wagetting my fingerprints taken, the person doing this was saying that they looked like poor quiality to him and they will probably be rejected by fbi.
That means i was told the fbi wouldn't be able to run a background check on me. I will get a second notice to have fingerprints done again. If it fails again i will have to go to local police office to request a sort of clearance from them. Meanwhile my case is put on hold, taking into account it's vsc - that's the last thing i want to happen to me.
The way the fingerprints process went - i have a feeling that to some extent it was done intentionally.
So i was wandering when should i expect to hear from them whether my fingerprints are good enough for fbi check or i need to have them done again?
If i have to do them again can i change the asc, if so then how?
Thanks fin advance or your input.
[/quote]

Hey all,
Don't worry, that Corn Huskers lotion really worked on my wife. We just got that for 3-4 dollars from Walmart and after having been unread once, she started using it religiously for 3 weeks. She did all the housework with plastic gloves on and tried not to wash her hand as many times as before. ( She is a frequent hand-washer ) and after each time she washed her hands she used the lotion. Almost each time. One more thing she did was before going to sleep she used the solution profusely and then all night long wore cotton gloves which we had also bought from Walmart for 2-3 dollars. Thank God these really worked and her fingerprints could be read in the second try. Special thanks to the people who wrote these tips in the forums before. And good luck!

I am wondering to make sure the biometrics result is successful. Can I call the uscis customer service? Will they do the mercy to transfer me to the 2nd tier supervisor to look into my case? I don't want to wait for eight mouths and find out biometrics was not accepted or the 2nd biometric appointment letter got lost.