I-751 filed in Nebraska SC

katies

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone filed I-751 in NSC within last two months?
I filed mine on 11/21, it was delivered on 11/24 and the check was cashed on 11/27. I have called the 800 number 3 times now and still no NOA.
I was told to make an appointment in my local USCIS office to get my passport stamped since I have no receipt notice.

Anyone else in the same boat?

update

I finally received my NOA which was dated Jan, 3rd 2007. This is a replacement NOA that I requested. Also this NOA has a different receipt number than I was given when I called the 800 number about my case. The last update date on USCIS website is 11/28/06 (apparently the day when they mailed/were supposed to mail my original NOA).
I have no idea if my biometrics appointment notice got lost in the mail as well or was never even mailed.

I filed mine on 11/20, my check was cashed 11/28 and i have heard nothing. I have only just begun to look into things and have not called anyone yet but after hearing your situation i will now call.

InfoPass

I have InfoPass appointment scheduled for this week. The questions I'm trying to find answers for are:
1. Why didn't I ever receive the original NOA?
2. Why is the receipt number different on the replacement NOA?
3. Will my application be rejected because of incorrect fee due to USCIS fault?
4. Will I have to pay extra for biometrics and when?
5. Was biometrics letter ever sent to me?
6. Why is it taking so long?!

I'll let you know how it goes... :eek:

I-751

Please keep us informed about the Infopass appt. How long does it take to get an appt? I think i will have to schedule one pretty soon because I filed the 751 in November, check was cashed, but no NOA yet. I do need a proof of my status for the University I work for. My GC is exp on Febr 17th and I am afraid that the HR will terminate my employemnt if I don;t get anything from INS till Febr 17th.

InfoPass

It took about 1.5 weeks to get InfoPass appointment. I'm in the same boat as you are, my GC expires on Feb, 14. Ironic, isn't it?

My InfoPass appointment went as well as one could expect under current circumstances. The immigration officer I talked to was very friendly and helpful.
Here's what I learned today:
1. Why didn't I ever receive the original NOA?
Apparently there is a glitch in USCIS system which causes NOAs sometimes being marked as sent in the system but not really being sent out. She could not verify it today that my original NOA was sent out but it seemed so.

2. Why is the receipt number different on the replacement NOA?
USCIS is updating their system and all records are based on the A #. It does not matter that the original receipt number I got when I called the 800 number and was stamped on my cashed check does not match the one on my replacement NOA. When the case is processed everything with the same alien number will be merged.

3. Will my application be rejected because of incorrect fee due to USCIS website?
This is the question she could not answer. It seems that different offices have different opinions on this. She assured me they would review my case locally if this would happen.

4. Will I have to pay extra for biometrics and when?
Maybe. USCIS will send biometrics appointment letter along with a note to pay that fee in your local USCIS office when you get fingerprinted. There is no point in sending extra 70 dollars as most likely it will be returned to you.

5. Was biometrics letter ever sent to me?
No, they have not done it yet. Apparently Nebraska and local Portland office are about way behind so it might take quite some time before I get my biometrics appointment letter.

6. Why is it taking so long?!
She explained that USCIS is doing some computer system changes so some service centers might have more problems than others.

So, if you filed in Nebraska and still have no NOA, call them and request a replacement NOA. They might claim there is no such thing (I had it happen to me once) but there really is. I guess with the old system they could not issue duplicates?
Also, she mentioned that she had heard a lot of complaints about the 800 number.

I guess I got lucky - I got my InfoPass appointment quite fast, ended up with someone who really took her time to listen. She even called Nebraska directly to find out what the deal was with different receipt numbers.

My advice - if the 800 number just gives you bullshit, make an appointment and talk to someone face to face.
I'll sit tight for a few months and then give them another call - and if USCIS will take their time processing my case I will apply for citizenship before I even hear anything from them.

I'll keep you posted:)

Thanks for the info

I have just one ?- did they stamp your passport or was it enough to have the replacement NOA. I will wait till Monday and if I don't receive anything I think I will have to make an Infopass appt and get my passport stamped (or I will loose my job if I don't have any legal proof of my status in the US :mad: )

They didn't stamp my passport. Apparently I can travel with my passport + expired green card+ replacement NOA.
I gave my employer a copy of my replacement NOA and they are fine with that.

Nebraska SC is Slow

I filed my I-751 in Sep 2006 ($205 check was cashed in the same month), received NOA in a week, got my biometric appt in 2 weeks, and after that, complete silence from USCIS. My case is being processed at the Nebraska SC and according to the processing dates posted on USICS, they are working on applications received in August 2006. :confused: Some posters wrote that they received their approved GCs in 3 months! Hmmm....

By the way, I received my biometric appt letter AFTER the appointment date. I freaked out, drove out to the local INS center and begged to have my finger prints taken. There was no fuss at all and I had my prints taken. Phew

For those traveling, you can indeed travel with an expired GC and the NOA. I just came back from the Far East with no problems at all although I did have a little explaining to do at the Singapore check-in counter before they were convinced that I had legitimate documents. Immigration in the U.S. airport is not a problem since the officers know about Conditional GC and all that but the problem is that foreign countries are not that familiar with the complicated immigration procedures in the U.S. So, be prepared to explain and maybe even wait for them to place a call to the US embassy when you are checking in at the airport.