I-751 application interview called after 16 months, desceduled as A-file missing

viji_nyc

Hi all,
I had filed my I-751 application in Dec 2007, FP in Feb 2008 and waited for 16 months for application to be approved. In Feb 2009 the processing in VSC went past my application date and I called uscis service center to find out my status. After calling them a couple of time I received a letter in March 2009 stating for an interview on Apr 6th 2009. I went for the interview along with my wife , with all the supporting evidence only to be told cooly by the officers " I have some Bad new your A-file is missing". He told us that they received the file from VSC but some officers might not have entered the current location and it might be found in couple of days. I was told when the file is found the next interview date will be scheduled and informed. I have no idea what to do and completely frustrated.
I welcome all suggestion and info if you have known or experienced such situation.
Thanks,
Viji

Timeline:
Dec 2007 - filed I-751 VSC
Feb 2008 - FP done
March 2008 - online status changed to
received and pending
Jan 2009 - Processing moves past my application date.
March 2009 - request for interview letter received .
Apr 6th 2009 - Interview date at nyc office.
Was told A-file missing ?????????????????

Thanks for all the replies, I have filed for an N-400 just a month ago. I am wondering because the A-file is used for both cases will it be affected.