I-751 and Drivers License

preethav

Registered Users (C)
At the end of the month (Feb 2009), I have to apply to remove conditions on my GC (my conditional greencard expires Jun 1). However, it so happens that my drivers license also expires on Jun 1 2009.

In order to renew my drivers license I need to show proof of lawful residence - but from what I read here, it can take up to a year or more for the permanent green card to be issued.

What do I need to do to get proof of lawful residency in order to renew my drivers license when it expires in June?

Thanks for the help.

Preetha

Check with your state's DMV to find out what they accept. Some will accept the one-year extension notice. Each state is different.

When you submit the I-751, do they automatically send you a letter stating that your GC has been extented by a year when they adjudicate the I-751?

It depends on the State....some accept the extension letter others want to see something else. I would suggest to call and see what they accept: the extension letter + expired GC or a stamp I-551 in your passport. Many states are becoming way more picky on driver's license lately even if you are legal resident with a 10 year green card.