I-730 waiting for assignment to an officer, how long can that be?

I-730 Approval Notice Sent Then What?

I got my wifes I-730 approval notice last week. The notice says the Asylee/Refugee petition is approved and the document is sent to visa center for visa processing. My wife is already in US with student dependent visa (F2). I filed it after she came here. But I don't know what to do next? I did not get I-94 and work authorization etc...
I called visa center, they told me they did not get the case yet. It takes two to four weeks to get there. I am tired of calling 1-800 nuber and talking to machine.
Could any body tell me what the next step is?

Thanks,
tgy

Wait a minute!

It seems to me that USCIS processes your wife application as a beneficiary outside the US.

Are you sure that they know the beneficiary (wife) was already in the US?

Did your wife get fingerprinted before this approval?

When did you apply for your wife?

I-730 Approval Notice Sent then what?

Thank you colocolo for your quick reply.
I am sure that they know my wife is in US. I submitted the I-94 given on board of entry.
Yes, my wife has given biometric (finger prints at local office).
I have the evedence with me for her giving the fingerprints at the local office last November.
I applied it last year July (July 2007).
If the case that my wife is treated as beneficiary outside US with these all, what is gonna happen?
I appreciate your help.
I could not talk to anybody from USCIS, due to this 1-800 machine stuff.
I could not setup info pass due to no options that fit my case.
So what can I do?

Thanks
tgy

Here is a template for I-730 approval (for beneficiary already in the US) on USCIS website:

Application Type: I730, REFUGEE ASYLEE RELATIVE PETITION

Current Status: Approval notice sent.

On July 26, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I730 REFUGEE ASYLEE RELATIVE PETITION. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service.

They didn't mention that the document is sent to the Visa Center for visa processing.

Where was your wife when you applied for her? Already in the US or in her home country?

I have an online case status account. First I got an email saying the same message as the template you sent me. When I took a look at my acount, it displays the same message. But after four days I got another email alert and when I took a look at my account the message is changed to:

Current Status: Case was shipped to the Department of State for visa processing.

On .........., we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing. For more information, please contact them directly.

When I filed this case, it was almost one month after my wife is in US. She was already in US.
I attached her I-94 form in the file.
Thank you colocolo.
Is there any way I can talk to the USCIS agent? Or should I wait for two weeks then talk to state department about the case?
What is next step for me to do?

Thanks
tgy

Sorry I did not understand what you mean by "you can call them and take option or extension : My case has been approved".
After a lot of trial I got some one in uscis to talk to. They told me to talk to State Depatment and also told me that they no linger have any information about my case.
So, What do you mean by "option or extension : My case has been approved".?
Is that for satate depasrtment or info pass?
Could you please ellaborate this a little bit.

Thanks in advance.

When someone calls USCIS, he has several options to choose:
-- case pending
-- case approved
-- case denied

Depending on the situation, the person makes a choice.

In your situation, it's different. USCIS affirmed, because they already approved the case, they do not have jurisdiction on it any more and you have to wait the National Visa Center to contact you.

It is strange to me because it's the first time that I learn that USCIS forwards an I-730 approval to NSC for a beneficiary already in the US. Usually, this path is for beneficiary outside the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help.
I will get you informed about this case within the next two to four weeks when I contacted Visa center.
Have a nice weekend!
:)

Colocolo,

I had a question. If your son had to leave the country, how would he leave? :S Your son hasn't been approved yet so is there any way he could leave the country?

The.Walker,

My son can leave this country anytime if he wants. However, he may have some trouble to come back.

According to USCIS, if he has to leave the country while his case is pending, we have to call them and probably they can make some arrangements. But, actually, there is no need for him to travel abroad.

I thought it were a given that anybody can leave this country anytime s/he wanted ;)

But on a serious note, someone told me that since my case is still pending, I cannot apply for RTD so I wanted to know how would I be able to get back in if I were to leave this country.

Thing is, I've been in this country for almost 4 years now. My father filed for asylum 3 years back and ever since then, I haven't thought about leaving the country. My visa expires in December ( not like it matters now anyways ) and I'm graduating next May so I was thinking about going back to COP during this Christmas break. Hence, I thought I'd ask you ( or anyone else for this matter )about the procedure thats all.

Yeah. I already know that but surely, there's gotta be something I could do to ensure that I can return back if I were to go home this winter, no?

wow. That's amazing. Wishing you and your son all the best.

The.Walker,

To be honest with you, I cannot wait to see them approve your case.

You are young, are going to college, you really need this approval to move forward.

Keep calling them and contact your local congressman for help. My senator gave me a good push.

Thanks,

Well, the current processing time shows that they're currently going through the files they received on April 11, 2007 ( mine was filed in May ) so I've decided to wait and watch for a couple of months and after that, I'm gonna be contacting others ( senators, congressmen et al ) to "expedite" my case.

I remain hopeful that I'll be granted the approval soon enough so that I could file for RTD and go back to COP during my Christmas break ( 47 days ). Still keeping my fingers crossed, I'm hoping they will do something sooner than later.