I-551 Stamping--Travel

march02485info

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
I got my passport stamped 2 months back with I-551 (Processing for I-551 for lawful permenant resident)..
1) Can i re-enter US with I-551 stamp in the passport
2) I applied for new passport which should come in with in a week or so ,, which does not contain I-551 stamp in it.

Will there be any problem while entering back US , with old passport having stamp and new passport does not..

Thanks

1) Yes. You can enter US with I-551 stamp.
2) I think you should go to the local CIS office and get the new passport stamped.

I am not sure which country are you from, however some countries will let you hold on to the old passport, after it's being cancelled and stamped in each and every page as cancelled. You can then travel with both until your actual card is mailed to you. You can:
1. Call your embassy and check with them if this is possible.
2. Go with both, the old and new, with any kind of approved ID, to the local office and ask them to transfer the stamp. They might issue you a stamp on an I-94, and you can use that on your new passport.
BTW, why did they stamp the I-551 on an I-94 slip originally? ususally they do it if they see that the applicant's passport has less than 1 year until expiration day.

Good luck,

Well They stamped on my passport which has less than 1 year..
My passport expires in Feb'2005 and the I-551 Stamp is valid until Sep'2005.
They have not checked my passport validity when they stamped .... Dont know why...
I surrendered I-94 while stamping , I dont have I-94 now.

Do i need to transfer the I-551 stamp from old passport to new passport before i leave US.?
If i have not transfered the I-551 stamp will there be any problems while entering US with carrying both old ( I-551 Stamped/Passport cancelled) and new( No I-551 stamp) passport.

Country of Origin: INDIA.

Thanks

when you come back, at the POE, you might be taken to a secondary questioning. that could delay things a little bit. have you tried consulting with your attorney? see what he / she have to say,

Re-new Indian Passport ...

I presume you are re-newing/having extension to your Indian passport for another 5 years(first renewel)...I re-newed my passport & NY Counsulate gave me back my OLD passport along with new passport...Indian passport are re-newed once (total for 10 years) and ALL valid Visas stamped on OLD passport are not CANCELLED...I think after after 10 years (or after one extension of 5 years) one has to apply for New Indian passport & dont know whether they give back OLD passport or not when it is more than 10 years...But for my "First 5 year extension", my OLD passport was given back to me...

Better be advised...go (OR Check thru pone) to near by Indian Consulate regarding whether they will return your OLD I-551 stamped passport..

march02485info said:
Hello All,
I got my passport stamped 2 months back with I-551 (Processing for I-551 for lawful permenant resident)..
1) Can i re-enter US with I-551 stamp in the passport
2) I applied for new passport which should come in with in a week or so ,, which does not contain I-551 stamp in it.

Will there be any problem while entering back US , with old passport having stamp and new passport does not..

Thanks

Yes, you can reenter with your I-551. You don't need restamping on your new passport. Keep your old and new passports together. New passport + stamping in old passport are good enough for traveling/re-entry.

I got my new passport as well as old passport back (today) . New passport has reference to the old passport number. I spoke to attorney and it should be ok to re-enter US as long as you carry both passports with you.

Thanks ALL.