I-551 Stamped on passports, do I still need to work for sponsor company.

Damnit

Registered Users (C)
I-551 Stamped on passports, do I still need to work for sponsor company. My Lawyer is asking to do so. I dont want to and I have much better offer. What do I do? Please suggest.

6 month clause

Damnit,

I am not sure how true it is but I have come across several cases where they brought up some 6 month clause. What I understand is that it is "recommended" that you stick around with your sponsoring employer for some period of time after approval. People use the 6 month period as a bench mark. The "supposed" risk of leaving immediately after GC approval is that it may become an issue when you apply for citizenship. They might question you about it. Again all this is from what I have read and I do not think there is any rule about this.

If I were in a similar situation, I would not worry about it and leave. I think to much is made of this stupid 6 month clause.

saras

I think no one knows the correct answer. Before AC21, you needed to work for your sponser for six months. I believe specific regulations for AC21 and job change are not released yet. They are not only slow on I-485's they are slow on coming up with regulations too:)

Damnit said:
I-551 Stamped on passports, do I still need to work for sponsor company. My Lawyer is asking to do so. I dont want to and I have much better offer. What do I do? Please suggest.

I saw the similar discussion on Murthy Chat. It is always a good idea to keep working for the sponsor company 6 month to 1 year after GC is approved. Leaving sponsor company too soon after I-551 stamp/GC might potentially be considered as fraud. You might be easily questioned later in applying citizenship. GreenCard is for future employement, it does not matter how long you have worked for the sponsor company BEFORE GC is approved.

Just for your reference.

Suppose i get my GC based on future employment offer from company A (I never worked for this company - my I140 got approved for this company). I used my AC21 and submitted another future employment offer from Company B to INS(I never worked for this company too- my I485 got approved shortly after using AC21).

So, i never worked for company A who sponsored my GC and under whom my I140 approved.

So, the conclusion is "After AC-21 introduced, there is no need to work for the sponsored company".

My attorney agrees for the above statement, but still he says...it is a grey area.

one opinion

In my opinion you need to work for at least 6 months for the company you (joined using AC-21 and ) were working when your 485 was approved.

"After AC-21 introduced, there is no need to work for the sponsored company"
This is true. This was clearly mentioned in the Yates memo in Aug 2003.

UnFort_User said:
Suppose i get my GC based on future employment offer from company A (I never worked for this company - my I140 got approved for this company). I used my AC21 and submitted another future employment offer from Company B to INS(I never worked for this company too- my I485 got approved shortly after using AC21).

So, i never worked for company A who sponsored my GC and under whom my I140 approved.

So, the conclusion is "After AC-21 introduced, there is no need to work for the sponsored company".

My attorney agrees for the above statement, but still he says...it is a grey area.

Last edited by a moderator: