I-551 stamp not accepted by college

Sameer Vuyyuru

Guys, we got our GC (CP) about 2 months ago and now my wife is starting school. The stupid lady (the registrar !!) says she cannot accept the I-551 stamp since this has an expiration date on it. We tried explaining any which way but she\'s stubborn as hell that she will not consider my wife a PR unless she shows the card...

Any thoughts on what I could do...this is a community college, so no international student office to help us sort this out.

No Title

Same thing happened to me my HR would not accept my stamp to update my w-9 because she wanted see the orginal GC, but luckily my actual green card came before my h expired. What JoeF said is pretty good advice also talk with the International Student Advisor, they are more aware of the immigration laws.

They are wrong!

Form I-9 explicitly states on the instruction pages that an employer MUST accept the I-551 stamp. In fact, employers are NOT permitted to prescribe a higher standard of documentation than what I-9 states must be accepted.

No Title

The stamp expiry has nothing to do with your status. The stamp expires only as temporary evidence of your status. As long as you abide by the regulations, your status NEVER expires.

No Title

Why did a community college ask for your passport in the first place? All you really need is your driver\'s license and maybe a Social Security Card. SS Office accepts the stamp to update your Social Security Card. If you did that they should see that there are no limitations on your status. BTW, I took some classes in a community college and they never even asked for my passport...