I-551 stamp expiring

iss2002

Registered Users (C)
My daughter I-551 stamp expiring by May 13th and i am waiting for Indian passport to be extended ,I have the following
questions

-- does she needs to get stamping on new passport before expiring I-551 stamping to maintain GC status ? ,or can we go at any time.
-- Before we used to live NSC(chicago) area, Now we are in VSC area, can we go to VSC INS(New York) office to get I--551 stamping on new passport

Thanks for your help

1. Yes, your daughter need new stamoing in the new passport.

2. You can get it stamped at your current local CIS office.

I am not so sure if a new stamp is required. Visas affixed to old passports do not need to be replaced provided both passports are carried, and if I had to guess about the I-551 stamp, I would have thought the same. You may want to call the BCIS service center and ask them about this, particularly since you have plenty of time between now and the expiration date. Do allow some time (about 3-4 weeks) for getting a new passport too.

Yes, you have to stamp on new passport.

When I got my stamp in Chicago local office in Nov 2003, the officer told me that she set stamp expiration date before passport expire date. Before that date, I have to get a new passport and stamp on it again.

Hope this helps.