I-485 - weird response to RFE

stranger26

Registered Users (C)
After submitting paperwork for I-485 I received a RFE notice asking to provide more stuff for I-864, I sent the stuff in...

Today I received 6 (!) E-mails from notification system saying that my case status has been updated with this message:

On October 27, 2006, we received your response to our request for evidence or information. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. Follow the the link below for current processing dates.

What does this mean??

Does it mean that RFE letter was a mistake and they went ahead and continued the processing before they got a response from me?
Or does it mean that there is a possibility that the case got approved or (god no!) denied and they just don't want to say it there??

Any info is appreciated...

it means USCIS got your RFE response

It simply means that they got your responsed RFE. Since this case has been processed, it shouldn't take long to finalize.

that's what my confusion is about.
I haven't had an interview or anything yet, as a matter of fact I submitted paperwork only a month ago, how can they make a decision already???

they can make decision to send you an interview appointment

The point of the message from USCIS is, they have got the matierial/document they wanted from you about your case. Since they have processed your case, and received the supplementary documents they need. They will continue working on your case after this interupption caused by RFE instead of starting over again. Therefore, you will get your interview appoinment pretty soon hopefully.
I hope this clarify your confusion.
Good luck