I-485 sent 15 months ago & only received a cash register receipt. Is this normal?

JefferyL

I'm new to this site and doing some research for my sister. She is a US citizen and is sponsoring mom for her green card. She lives in Queens, N.Y. According to her, she sent in the application about 15 - 16 months ago and all she got back from INS was a piece of cash registered looking receipt. Is it normal that she still hasn't recieve her I-797C official receipt? Just very concern since I thought I read somewhere in another thread that a poster recieved the official I-797C receipt in a matter of weeks.

I did look at the timeline for the I-485 GC application to final approval for N.Y which is about 720 days.

Please advice. Thanks.

Jeff

If your sister sent her petition to the local INS office in NY, then the cash register receipt is all that she'll get. The form I-797C is only sent to you if you send your petition directly to the service center (which would be VSC in your case).

So don't worry.
I have applied to the Atlanta Local office and I was worried about the same issue until my lawyer cleared that out.

Don't bother about the timelines. These days everything is taking an eternity to get done.
Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the answer. I will find out where exactly she sent the forms to, but I'm assuming it's some office in NY. By VSC you probably mean VERMONT SERVICE CENTER?

Also, would just like to clarify something. One would either get the cash register receipt OR the I-797C and not both?

The reason we were looking for the official I797C was because there's this ins website, http://www.usais.org/check_status.php that checks the status of the application could be checked for a cost of $20, and they do require the official 797C receipt number. So I guess, at this point, I wouldn't be able to check the status of the application?

Appreciate it LOTS.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I-485 at Atlanta

Hi,
I had also sent my I-485 to atlanta (Nov 2001) and got the cash register receipt. Any time line of Atlanta approvals?
Thanks

JefferyL,
When you apply at a service Center, you get a I-797C with EAC no which is trackable thru BCIS official web site and other websites too.

However when you apply for a family GC to a local office, like in NY , all you get is the receipt. The receipt no is not trackable on BCIS or any websites.

goodluck