I-485 RFE Sent to the Previous Attorney, Very Urgant

prq20

Registered Users (C)
After a wait of 16 months, NSC issued me an RFE of my I-485. The RFE was issued in mid Dec whereas I changed my employer (AC21) in the start of Dec.

Forseeing this job change, I sent multiple letters to NSC (different PO Box #s) asking them to remove the G28 attorney representation but after the RFE email when I checked with the NSC using POJ method, I was told that the RFE was sent to my previous attorney.

The problem is that the attorney was hired by me previous employer and after my change of jobs, he will not help me in any manner. I will not be able to get the RFE details and he will not send the reply which may result in the denial of I485 if not reached in time.

Gurus, can you please suggest what would be the best option for me to get the RFE document from USCIS so that I can reply myself?

If I submit the evidance myself is a regular envelope, will USCIS open it? The reason I am asking this is my bad experiences with NSC who did not update my G28 revokation request.

Act quick

Hi,

I had similar situation, but with labor and 60 day letter. Due to acquisition of my company, previous lawyers were let go and new lawyers came in. My letter went to old lawyer, who responded back saying "we are not representing this candidate any more". This resulted in closing the case, and my current lawyers fighting to open the case back. In my case also, representation was changed properly before the letter came out from backlog processing centers.

While that will not happen for you, I would say, "hire the old lawyers" if necessary by paying their regular fees. Last thing you want is to screw up. Good thing is, at least you know that there is an RFE for you and you can work to get things straight.

Just give a call to the old lawyers and request them to help. Hear what they got to say, and pay them if necessary. In the end, they want money too.

Good Luck.

- rspr

If the former attorney won't cooperate, send USCIS a letter telling them that the attorney to which they sent the RFE is not authorized to act on it because you have revoked the G-28, and ask them to send the RFE to you directly. And whatever you send to USCIS, use certified mail or another service (Fedex/UPS) that confirms delivery.

I was in same situation and came to know of RFE after almost 6 months, when I visited local USCIS office. I contacted the lawyer and he said he will send it to me. After few days of waiting, I finally sent him a certified letter CCing to USCIS. I also sent a letter to USCIS, asking them to remove the attorney. I called NSC and the officer told me that if it was within 87 day, they could have resent it. The officer also suggested I send a letter to USCIS, asking to remove the attorney .
You might want to call the service center. There is an option for RFE not received. Ask them to resend it to your address.

Last edited by a moderator: