I-485 Receipt after 3 weeks ...

Irish272000

Registered Users (C)
Not a lot of news but based on what I\'ve seen regarding timelines for even getting receipts from VSC, this may be a step in the right direction.
Filed for I485 early this month - attorney received the receipt notice on January 25th, 2002. Here\'s the details :-

Receipt Date : 01/07/2002.
Notice Date : 01/17/2002.

Heading into Boston Local Office to apply for EAD in person. According my my attorney, this is allowed for Employment-based cases in Boston. We\'ll see ...

Filed I-485 January 7, 2002 (same as Receipt Date - actually mailed on January 5)....

Regarding the EAD process in Boston,
    I went to the INS Boston office in the JFK building yesterday - due to several other appointments, it was 10:30 a.m. before I got there. Waited in a short line for about 15 minutes - got to the front desk, explained why I was there and got a number.

Waited about 50 minutes for my number to be called. Presented the copy of my I-485 receipt, my application for EAD (I-765), $100 money order (payable to US Immigration and Naturalization Service) and my passport (containing my H1-B visa and I-94 card). They reviewed and stamped everything and then sent me to the cashier to present the money order.

Cashier gave me a receipt and told me to go to the EAD processing office at the other side of the room. At this point it was about 12.10 p.m. A security guard told me that the lady doing the cards was going to lunch (she was finishing up the last of the previous batch of applicants, then going to lunch and would be back at 1.00 p.m.) He placed my application in a file. I went for much-needed coffee. Came back just before 1.00.

The lady was back exactly at 1.00 - she told all waiting for EAD processing to remove jackets and coats and earrings (if applicable). If she called your name, and you were not ready she would call the next person and you would have to wait a little longer. I waited about 20 minutes - went in to the office, she took a photo, my signature and right index fingerprint. Waited another 30 minutes and then got the card.

Everyone was efficient and pleasant to all as long as people were polite and listened to instructions. They had very little patience with people who didn\'t listen, mainly because there were so many people there for processing and so few people actually working (out of 14 booths only 4 were staffed and easily over 100 people waiting for processing).

Hope this helped.